06/19/02 06:55 PM
06/19/02 06:55 PM
Vero Beach Fl
nacra 269 Offline OP
journeyman
nacra 269  Offline OP
journeyman

Vero Beach Fl
Does anyone have the event info for the Coco to Vero Ocean race this weekend who could forward it to me?

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Coco-Vero [Re: nacra 269] #8025
06/19/02 09:51 PM
06/19/02 09:51 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I hope this is enough. I pulled this from a couple sources. See you there! JC

Its that time again. For about the past 20 years we have been making this annual 90 mile round trip trek to Vero Beach. (The first time I remember was 1980 when a couple of us sailed to and from the "Driftwood Hobie / Prindle Challenge").

I have reserved a block of 10 standard rooms at the Quality Court Hotel (same place we've always gone to). They are delighted we're coming and have given us the same rates we had last year: $89 Standard Rm, $109 Pool Side, $119 Ocean Side. They're also willing to reduce Ocean Side to $109 if we get enough interest (I'm thinking 5 rooms ought to do it but will have to confirm). The restaurant is closed but they are willing to set up a waiter for the bar if we want. We will talk about this at the fleet meeting tomorrow night at Chuck Harnden's, but if you can't make it let me know if you're interested in attending and if you're interested in an ocean side room. Elaine pointed out to me that although some of us will have two days of "ocean side", ground crews enjoy the view and it provides a great vantage point to watch for those after hours finishes.

There is no registration, entry fee, t-shirts or trophies, however we do keep track of departures and arrivals and will notify the Coast Guard on overdue boats.

Please note: There are no chase boats !! All skippers are responsible for the preparation of their boat and the safety of their crew. A GPS is nice to have, a handheld VHF and Cell phone are probably the most important adds to the standard required safety gear. There will be a skippers meeting each morning but otherwise assume you're on your own. Be prepared for foul weather, burning sun and a night spent waiting for help in the Atlantic and you should be in good shape. Look over all shrouds, shackles, mast tangs, rudder gudgeons and pins, mast rotation balls and any other potential on your boat for a bad day.

We have 14 rooms available (Henry's snagged one ocean side already) at reduced rates at the Quality Court Hotel. Six Ocean Side ($109)and 8 Standard ($89) are blocked off for Saturday after next, (June 22). They will add rooms if the interest is there but would appreciate hearing from us sooner not later. Call 1-800-245-3297 and tell them you're with Fleet 45.

Tentatively plan on a 0900 start from Fisher's Park in Cocoa Beach, I will confirm the location shortly. 0900 start means see ya at 0900 not begin setting up. Those that need more time then others to get ready - plan accordingly. You can generally count on SE winds after the sea breeze kicks in. Saturday tends to be the uphill long day - all the more reason to be moving by 0900. When you get there the infamous power line is still hanging over the entrance road just west of where the beach begins so masts must be raised after getting past that point. Please have your boat all ready except for that detail before pulling in and blocking access for others. Better yet as Frank Rodericks suggested, cattrack it down to the beach and then raise the mast.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 480 guests, and 97 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022