09/11/06 11:42 PM
09/11/06 11:42 PM
Vancouver, BC
Tornado Offline
veteran
Tornado  Offline
veteran

Vancouver, BC
Not sure I see any advantage other than the crew can pull from the midboom. From what I can tell from your description, purchase from the two triples plus single on the becket is 7:1 and the two tails do not add more.

Also, doesn't pulling a line from the midboom cause the boom to move towards you against the sail force, making you pulls less effective? I get this sometimes from the main traveller if it's out a bit (reaching in heavy air) and needing to sheet in the mainsheet after a gust...traveller comes up until near center before main sheet comes in.

Why not just stay with the helm handing mainsheet off to the crew for extra grunt?

I've got a picture of Hunt and Kris sailing upwind, but it a professionally done pic, so I'm not sure I can post it. Plus it doesnt really show the midboom sheeting very well.

The interesting thing he did was figure out how much he needed to play upwind and put a big stopper ball just past that point. So he could drop it and play the spin downwind.

Looking at the picture, they used a triple block on the boom, a triple with a becket and a cam cleat on the travelor, with a single on the becket and then a single block on the boom in front of the triple and a rachetmatic midboom with a big stopper ball 2 feet past the mid boom block and then enough tail to allow trimming from the trap.

Most cats have the triple and triple with a becket/cam. It pretty easy to add the two singles and the rachematic.

Hope that helps.

Bill

Mike Dobbs
Tornado CAN 99 "Full Tilt"
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: mid-tramp mainsheets, how to? [Re: Tornado] #82722
09/12/06 03:02 PM
09/12/06 03:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The trick is to run 2:1 on the tail that goes along the boom, this takes you up to a pumping 10:1 when using two triples (or higherer if you have quads) for the fine tune. We did it on the soft sail Ronstan C-class (ex edge III) and I've also seen it done on Ts.

Last edited by Scarecrow; 09/12/06 03:07 PM.
Re: mid-tramp mainsheets, how to? [Re: Tornado] #82723
09/14/06 09:49 AM
09/14/06 09:49 AM
Atlanta
bvining Offline
veteran
bvining  Offline
veteran

Atlanta
Not sure I see any advantage other than the crew can pull from the midboom. From what I can tell from your description, purchase from the two triples plus single on the becket is 7:1 and the two tails do not add more.

Also, doesn't pulling a line from the midboom cause the boom to move towards you against the sail force, making you pulls less effective? I get this sometimes from the main traveller if it's out a bit (reaching in heavy air) and needing to sheet in the mainsheet after a gust...traveller comes up until near center before main sheet comes in.

I'm pretty sure a fully loaded main wont move with you pulling on a block at midboom. My Acat midboom doesnt move the boom when I pull on the main sheet. Keep in mind the load is traveling thru a block and not directly on the boom at the midboom point.

If you had the midboom farther back or it was light you might move the boom.

As far as what advantage you get, the only reason I think you would want to do this is to give the crew a cleaner "pull" and not have to worry about the helm getting in the way of the main.

On the Ht (or i20 or F18) the crew trims the main and if the driver is sitting on the boat, the sheet usually is over the drivers legs or his lap. So the midboom moves it away from the driver. Not really any advantage, and it complicates the tacks in my opinion.

O the Acat the advantage to midboom sheeting is that you can sit forward downwind and play the main, since thats your main control downwind its nice to be able to sit in the middle of the tramp and face forward.

I'm actually thinking about a way to sheet rear beam upwind and midboom downwind. I think tacking a midboom is harder than the rear beam sheeting.

Bill

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 673 guests, and 186 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022