Hop To
Info on Genakers/Hooters/Screachers #8497
07/04/02 07:27 PM
07/04/02 07:27 PM
Victoria, Australia
Inland_Sailor Offline OP
Inland_Sailor  Offline OP

Victoria, Australia
Just like some info on Genakers/Hooters/Screachers.

At the moment I'm now a little unsure of which is the best way to pursue the spinaker setting / retrieval strategy for my 20' Trailable Cat.

I'm not sure of using a bowsprit mounted snuffer with my current 300sq ft asymmetrical or swaping over to a furling type of spinnaker.[Genaker/Hooter/Screacher]

I dont know much about either system really, but want something that is easy for my crew to use.

Does anybody out there have any definitive answers to what makes these sails different from an asymmetrical spinaker?

Why can they be furled and spinakers need to be dropped?

Does a formula exist in calculating the appropriate size hooter. Eg - 90% of spinnaker size etc.

What fabric is best?

What are the benifits/disadvantages of each type of sail.

Whilst I have a regular crew, this situation can change and part timers need all the help they can get.

My sailing is generally round the bouy racing, so if someone can recommend which type of sail is better for this application, rather than the others.

My Cat has a bowsprit that is 2.2m in length, and is movable in both horizontal and vertical planes. We hardly ever alter the height of the pole, but regularly adjust the pole across the boat according to the wind direction. It can be moved about 40 - 45 degrees from the centre.

I know this has probably been discussed before, but I'm new here and dont know where to look.

Just considering my options.

Inland Sailor

Magnum
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Info on Genakers/Hooters/Screachers [Re: Inland_Sailor] #8498
07/08/02 04:29 PM
07/08/02 04:29 PM
Houston, Texas
EasyReiter Offline
enthusiast
EasyReiter  Offline
enthusiast

Houston, Texas
How do you move the bowsprit? and hold it down? and keep it out of the water and out of the way of the shrouds? and not break it?

if you can move the pole then I would use a spinnaker.

the difference in sails depends on how much sail in in the luff. if there is sail in the luff then it must be balanced or it breaks.(as you go up wind) a gennoa that can furl (cause no sail forward of the line from the head to the tack.) is great for going up wind on a light air day and also helps down wind on a broad reach. Cats do not go wing on wing down wind because of the shrouds and the inability to move the bowsprit to the side. if you have that figured out then with a semi spin you should kick butt down wind. other than that I have no idea what type of sail is good for all that you need.

Marc Reiter I 20 #861 Dikes, Ferries and Tramps. www.texascitydike.com
Here is info on Hooter [Re: Inland_Sailor] #8499
07/08/02 04:42 PM
07/08/02 04:42 PM
Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
Here is some info on Hooters:

http://www.catsailor.com/update_hooter.html

Since the discovery of the Hooter, spinnakers have gotten smaller and flatter. Advantage of a Hooter is that it serves more points of sail and can actually sail upwind in light winds at angles the same as a jib, plus is honks off the wind -- just need to keep it more heated up than a spinnaker.

Also, check out my video on Downwind Sailing in our Book Store

http://www.catsailor.com/rampress/ram_press.html

Good luck,

Rick

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
Re: Info on Genakers/Hooters/Screachers [Re: EasyReiter] #8500
07/08/02 07:08 PM
07/08/02 07:08 PM
Victoria, Australia
Inland_Sailor Offline OP

Victoria, Australia
marc

I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can.

The bowspritwhich is 2" [50mm] constuction grade aluminium with a 3/16th [4mm] wall. It has a spinnaker pole clip on the end and clips/attaches to the crossbeam via a stainless steel U bolt that goes through the beam, but a padeye would probably do the same thing.

This gives the pole tha ability to move through any plane as mentioned in my post. [similar to a normal spinaker pole attached to a mast].

To hold the pole down, a line is attached that runs from bow to bow. The line runs through a small block. on the bow sprit and is cleated down. Than a second continuous line runs to each bow and back along the hulls to cleats just near the jib blocks then returns via the other hull to the tip of the bowsprit. This line can be cleated down on either side of the boat.

To move the pole, all that is required is to unleat both cleats and pull the pole around to the desired position and then recleat.

Hope this helps

Any more questions, just ask

Magnum
Re: Info on Genakers/Hooters/Screachers [Re: Inland_Sailor] #8501
07/08/02 10:01 PM
07/08/02 10:01 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
What kind of 20' catamaran are we talking about?

Jake Kohl
Re: Info on Genakers/Hooters/Screachers [Re: Jake] #8502
07/08/02 11:34 PM
07/08/02 11:34 PM
Victoria, Australia
Inland_Sailor Offline OP

Victoria, Australia
An Aussie built Windrush 600 [20]' trailable.

[They can still be built but the factory is now concentrating on the 700 model.See link.

http://www.wevo.com/w700.htm

When I get a picture of mine I'll put it on the forum so you can see the difference from its larger brother.

I've attached a picture of W600 for you anyway.This doesn't show the bowsprit, but it is attached in a similar manner to that on the W700 http://www.traileryacht.com.au/windrush.htm

Magnum
Re: Info on Genakers/Hooters/Screachers [Re: Inland_Sailor] #8503
07/11/02 03:00 PM
07/11/02 03:00 PM
Houston, Texas
EasyReiter Offline
enthusiast
EasyReiter  Offline
enthusiast

Houston, Texas
Thanks for the picture, I understand what the difference between a "trailerable 20" and my trailered I20 is now (1000 lbs) and I understand what I missed before.

Marc Reiter I 20 #861 Dikes, Ferries and Tramps. www.texascitydike.com
Re: Info on Genakers/Hooters/Screachers [Re: EasyReiter] #8504
07/13/02 06:29 PM
07/13/02 06:29 PM
Victoria, Australia
Inland_Sailor Offline OP

Victoria, Australia
Sure the Windrush is heavier [and dryer] than a beach cat but sails and handles just like one. She weighs in at about 700lbs [or 350kg].

On the water she beats Hobie turbo's Nacras 4.5s regularly and even the odd Hobie 16. On light days She.s a dream and can even beat Tiapans on handicap. As well as all that she has pleanty of room for a cooler full of cold refreshments for skipper and crew.

Inland Sailor

Magnum

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 586 guests, and 112 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022