07/09/02 09:03 PM
07/09/02 09:03 PM
Racine, Wisconsin
Leo Offline OP
journeyman
Leo  Offline OP
journeyman

Racine, Wisconsin
Short of resorting to herculean feats of strength and unnatural displays of musculoskeletal flexibility... Where the heck is the easy spot to climb back on a NACRA 6.0 NA after righting from a flop? I climbed back on in the corner of the front bar and a hull, and I had to pick my wife out of the water, physically. The thing just sits so darn high out of the water. Help!

Paul Scott Bartelt 2001 NACRA 6.0 NA #546
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Getting back in the saddle [Re: Leo] #8631
07/09/02 11:23 PM
07/09/02 11:23 PM
Andrew Offline
enthusiast
Andrew  Offline
enthusiast

I've had the best luck climbing a trap wire. As long as you can get one hand gripped onto a trap handle, it's not terribly difficult to kick a heel onto the deck and then slither aboard much like coming in off the wire. I have NOT tested this on the 6.O, but it worked great on my 5.5 and continues to work on my Prindle 19, which rides pretty high too.

good luck

Andrew Tatton Nacra 20 "Wiggle Stick" #266 Nacra 18 Square #12
Re: Getting back in the saddle [Re: Andrew] #8632
07/09/02 11:31 PM
07/09/02 11:31 PM
Texas
majsteve Offline
majsteve  Offline

Texas
On the 6.0 the easiest spot for me is the forward crossbeam you have the dolphin striker to help you get started and then it can also be used as a foot step. Also, you in front helps keep the boat to weather.

Hope it helps.

Steve

Re: Getting back in the saddle - quickly [Re: majsteve] #8633
07/10/02 11:33 AM
07/10/02 11:33 AM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
I vote front beam, too. As crew, that's where I am when the boat rights anyway, and I'm always concerned about getting aboard and getting control as quickly as possible. Seems like swimming to another part of the boat would take too long. Like Steve, I also use the dolphin striker like a ladder - get out quick, though, because once the boat starts moving, it seems like the drag makes it exponentially tougher to claw your way back onto the tramp.

'Course, you should consider staying dry to begin with... KIDDING! I think if you're not getting wet, you're not pushing hard enough. Even the pros get wet once in a while - I'm a witness.

John

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
Re: Getting back in the saddle - quickly [Re: John Williams] #8634
07/10/02 12:27 PM
07/10/02 12:27 PM
J
Jacques Offline
journeyman
Jacques  Offline
journeyman
J

Front beam too. Easier to get back on using the dolphin striker. Also it is safer because you get less chance to get separated from the boat (a lot of things to grab) which, for me, represents the most dangerous thing to happen: very often the boat drifts faster than you can swim. The boat also stays more into the wind while you are trying to get back (which can be long if you are tired!).

Re: Getting back in the saddle [Re: Leo] #8635
07/10/02 01:00 PM
07/10/02 01:00 PM
Toronto, Ontario
pitchpoledave Offline
old hand
pitchpoledave  Offline
old hand

Toronto, Ontario
What I do is to tie a loop in the righting line and put a foot in the loop and stand up. using your arms to pull you out of the water really tires you out quickly. I usually put the loop straight down from the mast, so I can also use the dolphin striker.

Dave

2001 Nacra 6.0na #325

Re: Getting back in the saddle [Re: pitchpoledave] #8636
07/10/02 02:33 PM
07/10/02 02:33 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Hey! now that's a great idea! loop in the righting line one or two steps down from the dolphin striker - self made ladder.

Jake Kohl
Re: Getting back in the saddle [Re: Leo] #8637
07/10/02 02:35 PM
07/10/02 02:35 PM
MI
sail6000 Offline
old hand
sail6000  Offline
old hand

MI
Good suggestions by all ,-the loop idea is good if you can find it below the surface in waves in those conditions while starting to move . --maybe a rope ladder kept in the front pocket ,-or keep a diving ladder handy -joking -

It is a long way up on the high sided buoyant 6/0s .

Racing the 6/0 in the Worrell two years -98 and 99 while racing with Sandra {she broke her leg the following year on the I-20 sailing with Rod from Aus. } we placed an extra trap ,-the circlular type, on the front of the mast a foot or two up ,--this provided an excellent readily accessable handhold and way to lift yourself up.

We also found a way for her to just step around the front crossbeam as the hull righted landing on the righted trampoline ready to go getting the boat under controll while I got back up , she also helped pull me up once or twice as I began to tucker out being a little slower each time we flipped, think we flipped 4 times one leg ,and numerous times during the event -it does get tiring especially being wet and wearing the extra EPIRB lights ,GPS strobe tools and gear .

I USUALLY JUST PUSH STRAIGHT UP AS FAR AS POSSIBLE flip my feet like a dolphin AND FLOP ON , though sometimes when more tired will put my hands over the spin pole and feet and legs on the hull and lever myself up using more stomach muscle and rolling on once up level with the hull.

Swim occationally and often practise getting out of the pool and do specific exercize with this in mind ,

The scariest experience I had on the 6/0 was with Todd on one of the night legs 99 I think ,it was pitch black ,no moon or stars , 6 foot very confused seas -crosswaves ,blowing 25 and higher on the nose . we stuffed a bow and flipped not being able to evan see the waves , righted within 20 seconds got going again then almost flipped again just barely saving it but overcorrected and death rolled the 6/0 on top of us both being on the wire.-We righted quickly again ,I popped up on the boat which started to move but did not see Todd ,--luckily saw two hands just barely holding onto the front crossbeam as the 6/o started to excellerate . In that split second I had to deside wether to turn the boat or jump forward to grab Todds hand ,-luckily did jump forward just as he started to slip off .

Was so pumped by then the adrenaline flow allowed me to pull him up in one fast motion by grabbing the back of the life jacket planting my feet . Whew ,----know it would have been very unlikely to have found him again in those contions if he had let go , we were some 8 miles offshore again pitch black in high winds and large confused seas .

We finished well at Isle of Palms early in the morning , was never so happy to see the sun rise .

try the extra trap handle on the mast for the crew,it does provide some extra piece of mind .

hope that helps

Carl

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 414 guests, and 67 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022