10/29/06 12:42 AM
10/29/06 12:42 AM
St Petersburg FL
Robi Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Robi  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

St Petersburg FL
I can attest to what PTP has said. There was a crazy current making the seas extremely confusing. GOod thing we were on the N6.0 and the boat just kept trucking along. We were both getting tossed around like little chickens, thank goodness for the "chicken" lines. The system works flawlessly and I am considering this setup for my f16 as well.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Falling off boats and tethers [Re: Robi] #87212
10/29/06 09:59 AM
10/29/06 09:59 AM
BANNED
MauganN20 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
MauganN20  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BANNED
Only thing about putting the balls on the trap ring is that the chicken line is going to be pulling the ring INBOARD. So when/if you lose tug on the hook/ring, the chicken line could pull it out.

Re: Falling off boats and tethers [Re: Frozen] #87213
10/29/06 07:03 PM
10/29/06 07:03 PM
“an island in the Pacifi...
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

“an island in the Pacifi...
Would a Montana Cinch work?

http://montanacinch.com/

US Sail Level 2 Instructor
US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: Falling off boats and tethers [Re: MauganN20] #87214
10/29/06 10:06 PM
10/29/06 10:06 PM
Michigan
PTP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
PTP  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Michigan
Only thing about putting the balls on the trap ring is that the chicken line is going to be pulling the ring INBOARD. So when/if you lose tug on the hook/ring, the chicken line could pull it out.

I was worried about that too and usually I have the chicken line under a little tension pulled aft and inboard. I figure my weight on the ring is enough to keep me locked in. I might switch it to my harness but I would rather not have 2 balls on the harness- yet more crap to get caught on stuff. I am going to switch the rings out for a loop of line with plastic tubing over it like robi has done and I will have to re-examine the set up.

Re: Falling off boats and tethers [Re: PTP] #87215
10/29/06 10:19 PM
BANNED
MauganN20 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
MauganN20  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BANNED
Your weight on it will work, but often when you need the chicken lines, you're in big seas. I've encountered that "zero-g" effect when launching off the top of the wave where you're right at the apex of the arc of motion and for a split second you're not putting any weight on the ring.

Just something I'd think about.

Re: Falling off boats and tethers [Re: PTP] #87216
Nepean (Ottawa) Ontario Canada
Frozen Offline
enthusiast
Frozen  Offline
enthusiast

Nepean (Ottawa) Ontario Canada
Could you guys post some pics of the setups as it is sometimes hard to picture what you are talking about. Thanks!

Cheers
Alan F

Tiger
Re: Falling off boats and tethers [Re: Frozen] #87217
10/30/06 02:34 AM
10/30/06 02:34 AM
Michigan
PTP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
PTP  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Michigan
Could you guys post some pics of the setups as it is sometimes hard to picture what you are talking about. Thanks!

I am currently about 15,000 miles away from my boat unfortunately.

Re: Falling off boats and tethers [Re: PTP] #87218
10/30/06 09:37 AM
10/30/06 09:37 AM
B
brobru Offline
addict
brobru  Offline
addict
B

Hi All,

I few years back in St. Thomas, they were racing spin cats. As you know, the weather is mostly perfect with 15 to 20 mph and waves 3 feet or so.

The local Nacra dealer [ I belive it was him] had a I-20 and under a full throttle spin run, the spin sheet tangled on the crews ankle [ it always amazes me the 'law of tangles' is in full force on beach cats], high speed, combined with flying off waves and BAM,....crew overboard.

What happened next was concerning,...the crew being towed at full speed with spin sheet wrapped on ankle and providing tension for the spinnaker,..the boat would not slow down.

After unsuccessful attempts, the skipper becoming aware of the craziness of the situation being out of control,...did the only thing he could,...a full throttle spinnaker crash gybe.

So, yep, this is a good post!

regards,

Bruce
St. Croix
US Virgin Islands
I-17

Re: Falling off boats and tethers [Re: brobru] #87219
10/30/06 10:03 AM
10/30/06 10:03 AM
Atlanta
bvining Offline
veteran
bvining  Offline
veteran

Atlanta
Jamie Livingston added some jam cleats on his trap harness and locked himslef in with the jam cleats on the chicken lines. Two jam cleats on either side of the harness, mounted horizontally in opposite directions, leaving a little loop in the middle that you can yank on to uncleat yourself. He told me that you cleat in and then extend your legs and you are locked to the boat, fore and aft.

Jamie never wears shoes, so this must work.

Bill

Re: Falling off boats and tethers [Re: bvining] #87220
10/30/06 10:31 AM
10/30/06 10:31 AM
St Petersburg FL
Robi Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Robi  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

St Petersburg FL
Jamie Livingston added some jam cleats on his trap harness and locked himslef in with the jam cleats on the chicken lines. Two jam cleats on either side of the harness, mounted horizontally in opposite directions, leaving a little loop in the middle that you can yank on to uncleat yourself. He told me that you cleat in and then extend your legs and you are locked to the boat, fore and aft.

Jamie never wears shoes, so this must work.

Bill
WOW, now thats interesting. Next time I see him I will mention it to him.

Re: Falling off boats and tethers [Re: brobru] #87221
10/30/06 11:39 AM
10/30/06 11:39 AM
Annapolis,MD
Keith Offline OP
veteran
Keith  Offline OP
veteran

Annapolis,MD
Hi All,

I few years back in St. Thomas, they were racing spin cats. As you know, the weather is mostly perfect with 15 to 20 mph and waves 3 feet or so.

The local Nacra dealer [ I belive it was him] had a I-20 and under a full throttle spin run, the spin sheet tangled on the crews ankle [ it always amazes me the 'law of tangles' is in full force on beach cats], high speed, combined with flying off waves and BAM,....crew overboard.

What happened next was concerning,...the crew being towed at full speed with spin sheet wrapped on ankle and providing tension for the spinnaker,..the boat would not slow down.

After unsuccessful attempts, the skipper becoming aware of the craziness of the situation being out of control,...did the only thing he could,...a full throttle spinnaker crash gybe.

So, yep, this is a good post!

regards,

Bruce
St. Croix
US Virgin Islands
I-17

When I started this thread, this is almost exactly the scenario I envisioned on a hot I-20 spin ride clipping in to the sheets (or anything else for that matter).

Re: Falling off boats and tethers [Re: brobru] #87222
10/31/06 12:02 PM
10/31/06 12:02 PM
Annapolis Md.
LuckyDuck Offline
enthusiast
LuckyDuck  Offline
enthusiast

Annapolis Md.
Bruce, what do you use on your I-17 ??

Still hazey after all these beers.
F-16 Falcon #212
Re: Falling off boats and tethers [Re: LuckyDuck] #87223
11/01/06 07:40 AM
11/01/06 07:40 AM
B
brobru Offline
addict
brobru  Offline
addict
B

Hi,
I use footstraps upwind,..the combination of speed and 'wave-hopping' makes for very active ride.

A note here, the I 17 [ N, F, ?] hull design is made to slice thru waves, so, I have a less[ overall] platform movement[ at full speed] when entering the face of a wave, when compared to a full-volumne 'planing' hull.

The front part of the boat disappears into the wave face about up to the 3-4 feet before the front crossbar. At this area,there is volume built into these hulls, however, there is not much 'rise' in the ride because the 'hole' in the wave has been already made and the wave face [in the respective bow area] has been destroyed [ in the process of falling apart]...

..it is what you DO NOT see that gives you some platform motion,...from the drivers point of view,...you cannot see the hulls on the other side of the wave,..the trough side..

..yes, that part of the hull is airborne.. so, yes, when the face of the wave [ which is now in the process of falling on you]hits the front cross beam, you are a heartbeat away from exiting the wave..

..remember, the rig is going full throttle,..the speed never slows down,..it is the most amazing thing,..once you get dialed in,..the design does the rest,..you just hold on..I never touch the mainsheet..

..ok, here comes the motion..

..as you exit at full throttle, the dimensions come into play....for if you have a true 3 foot wave,..that is 3 feet up to the crest,..and 3 feet down, to the trough,..a total dimension of 6 feet. ....so yes,..upon exit,..and it is a rapid exit,..you will have to drop vertically 6 feet down to get the boat in the water..

...however, the forward motion of the boat 'smooths' out this drop..

..then, guess what,..the bows are ready to enter another wave face..

..so, it is quite amazing what these boats do offshore.

The I-17 is a big 17. ..about 17-6,...so, it is 6 inches shorter than a F-18[ I believe this is correct],...still, at those times, I wished for 2-3 more feet of boat,...no more sail area,...just more bow.

I have broken dog bones,...dog bone welds,...spreader bar welds, of course trap lines.

I use mainsheet size Kevlar [from the trap wire end] and the non-hook trapeze system[ pre set to length], where we are, the chase boat will get to you in about 5 minutes, so, you gotta be sure to not get pinned or trapped or caught-up on your own.

As for down wind, at that wind speed [15-20mph], the boat comes alive,..I have not convinced myself how to do a spin in that wind range,...it is the take down and the set that is the concern..one has only so many appendages you know..

..Off the wind, the I17 sail almost dead down wind [ about 170 degrees] and is controlable at 15 , however, as you approach 20mph, she is in the extreme range[somehow,she does windspeed at that rate,..yes, she does 20 mph boat speed]

..the trick here is not falling off the boat....as many of you know, driving up the 'back' of a wave [ at hi speed] is quite different than driving 'into the face',....for me, it is my like being a 'surfer' than a 'sailor'.....weight to the back, carve off the wave face,..bows up [as long as you can],..get ready for the next wave..keep at 170 degrees to the mark..

..I need the foil rudder system from the Spitfire 16,..more so than a spin,..I am convinced of this..this will settle the boat out in these conditions...

..I call it quits if the gusts sustain at 25mph and waves over 4 feet,...it is just me, it is just too wild of a ride..;-)

regards and enjoy your day,

Bruce
St. Croix
USVI

ps...you should see the Hobie 16 go downwind in these conditions, they pass me up! That big, low profile main, turns into a spinnaker!

pps.it took me about 3 years to figure out the I17,.with big help from this site [ John P- England, Wouter,the Aussie T 4.9 gang , Scooby, Sparky, Rick W...aand more]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 676 guests, and 105 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022