11/16/06 03:16 PM
11/16/06 03:16 PM
Graham, NC
WindyHillF20 Offline OP
addict
WindyHillF20  Offline OP
addict

Graham, NC
What is the reasoning for restricting beam curvature on F18's? Is it simply a protection device for the manufacturers of F18's to keep sailors of older 18' cats from conforming? Is this a plot by Nacra as their older designs have straight crossbars and Hobies do not? Is a curved crossbar an advantage? Not trying to start a war, just want to understand why such a rule is in place.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: curvature rule [Re: WindyHillF20] #89901
11/16/06 04:18 PM
11/16/06 04:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

you started a similar thread a month ago that answers all those questions

http://www.catsailor.com/forums/showflat...rt=all&vc=1

and, yes, you started a war that time as well.

Re: curvature rule [Re: ] #89902
11/16/06 06:25 PM
11/16/06 06:25 PM
Graham, NC
WindyHillF20 Offline OP
addict
WindyHillF20  Offline OP
addict

Graham, NC
I re-read the thread prior to entering this query. There is no explanation as to the purpose or intent of this rule. There is alot of argument, but no direct reasoning. If there is no advantage or disadvantage why institute such a rule? As Wout stated " it's a silly rule ", why or why not?

Re: curvature rule [Re: WindyHillF20] #89903
11/16/06 06:37 PM
11/16/06 06:37 PM
Looking for a Job, I got credi...
scooby_simon Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
scooby_simon  Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
Carpal Tunnel

Looking for a Job, I got credi...
Only way you will get the definitive answer (if there is one) is to write to the F18 class assoc.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: curvature rule [Re: WindyHillF20] #89904
11/16/06 06:49 PM
11/16/06 06:49 PM
new2sailin2 Offline
new2sailin2  Offline

Out of curiosity when a F18 is measured, does the measurer check the front beam curvature? If so is there standard or simple way to do this. As I have never seen too many measurers’ work I was wondering if there is a system. Also if the F18 has templates they use when measurements are used.

Re: curvature rule [Re: new2sailin2] #89905
11/16/06 08:55 PM
11/16/06 08:55 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
WindyHill is right...although it did start a war, there was no answer given as to why the rule was conceived. Honestly, I don't know why the rule is in place and can only make wild guesses. I can, however, tell you that the rule has absolutely nothing to do with any manufacturer bias as the rules were designed by people that wanted to build a class that eliminated manufacturer bias. For a history of the Formula 18 rule, go HERE (content included below)

I've sent a request up through the chain of command to ask the international rule makers why this rule was put in place. Regardless of the answer (it might take a while since the AGM is coming up soon), I can say that there is very little chance that the rule will be removed any time soon as there is a lot of focus (and a BIG job ahead) right now on the overall F18 rule wording that will take most of the focus at the next AGM. Secondly, it's hard to argue against the F18 class specifications because they've been so successful thus far.

WindyHill, even way back when you were considering modifying that 18, we had an online discussion about this rule so the curved beam issue shouldn't be a surprise.

HOW FORMULA 18 DID COME ON EARTH

By Olivier BOVYN, President of the International Formula 18 Class Association

For many years, and with the exception of the "A" and Tornado Classes, sport catamaran sailing has been linked to manufacturer classes. From club level to the largest events, racing on corrected time was the only way to allow different designs to compete, with sometimes endless discussions about the timetable or yardsticks used to do so.

Off this reason, we started to work, through the catamaran section created in 1985 by the French Sailing Federation, on a rating system based on a set of IOMR formulas, further to the Pacific Multihull Association system. With the support of various European National Authorities, this job lead in 1992 to the implementation of the SCHRS, Small Catamaran Handicap Rating System, which is since under the umbrella of ISAF.

A clear need for racing on elapsed time appeared with the first long distance race sailed in China Sea, organised by Gérard d'Aboville (the man who crossed over the Ocean by rowing). It was then agreed with Pierre-Charles BARRAUD, FFV Technical Officer, to fix one single rating for the whole fleet, with some success.

Following this very first event, a CataWorld Cup circuit was created, using the ICCA measurement regulations written by Yves LODAY and some other competitors, but these rules lead to a majority of expensive "One off" boats, hindering any further large development.

In order to broaden the access to elapsed time racing to a maximum of catamaran sailors, Pierre-Charles BARRAUD and myself, as the executive of the FFV Catamaran Section, decided then to create in 1994 the Formula 18 using the SCHRS formulas to compute the performance parameters. The aim was the following :

- to provide fair racing for crews of various weights, from 115 to over 150 kgs, through the use of two different sail sizes of jibs and spinnakers, linked to the use of limited corrector weights ;
- to maintain competition between the manufacturers in order to keep the costs at the lowest level ;
- to allow mixed or female crews to compete on an equal basis in large male fleets ;
- to protect the interests of the club sailors through an actual measurement procedure.

This concept was probably a good one, as the class grew up so quickly that the ISAF Recognised Status was granted in 1996, eighteen months after the birth of the formula. Mainly European at the beginning, the Formula 18 is now spreading to Australia, New Zealand and North America, with not less than twelve different designs affordable on the market at the moment.

To conclude, Formula 18 sailing offers probably the best balance between cost and value, fairness and competition, to the wider range of crew statures.

Last but not least, the Class is extremely proud to welcome numerous Olympic sailors to the annual World Championship, as it is a clear assessment of the Formula 18 skill level.

All what you have ever expected in catamaran sailing will probably given to you by Formula 18. Numerous National Associations and sailing clubs are ready to welcome you, and I will be for sure very happy to meet you in some venue in the near future, if you decide to join our family.

Wishing you all the best, sincerely,

Olivier BOVYN

Re: curvature rule [Re: WindyHillF20] #89906
11/16/06 11:11 PM
11/16/06 11:11 PM
Toronto, Ontario
pitchpoledave Offline
old hand
pitchpoledave  Offline
old hand

Toronto, Ontario
I am pretty sure it is due to cost. Curved beams cost more to make than straight ones. One of the primary goals of f18 is to keep the costs down.

Re: curvature rule [Re: new2sailin2] #89907
11/17/06 02:09 AM
11/17/06 02:09 AM
Victoria, Australia
C2 Mike Offline
enthusiast
C2 Mike  Offline
enthusiast

Victoria, Australia
Out of curiosity when a F18 is measured, does the measurer check the front beam curvature? If so is there standard or simple way to do this. As I have never seen too many measurers’ work I was wondering if there is a system. Also if the F18 has templates they use when measurements are used.

Dead easy with a string line. Can't say I've ever found it to be a problem though. 15mm is a fair bit of prebend!

Tiger Mike

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 526 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022