Hop To
H21 Sport Cruiser Questions Please? #9078
07/29/02 03:25 PM
07/29/02 03:25 PM
Minneapolis, MN
duganderson Offline OP
duganderson  Offline OP

Minneapolis, MN
I also posted this on the old discussion board.

I live in the Minneapolis area and just sold my H16 and am looking for something with more carrying capacity and am considering a H21SC or a Getaway. There is a used H21SC (1999) in my area for sale that I am considering. Here are some questions?

1. How many people can it carry confortably for a few hour mellow cruise?

2. How is the performance with only two people? How is the performance relative to a H16 or a Getaway? Can you easily and safely fly a hull?

3. How can it handle bigger waters like Apostle Islands, Door County, etc.?

4. How durable is it? Can you just pull it up on the beach without damaging the hulls?

5. How long to set up and launch? Can it be done by one person.

6. How is the performance under motor?

7. How easy is it to right? How many people are necessary with or without water bags?

Please e-mail me with your phone number if you would not mind any follow up questions.

Thank you very much, Doug

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: H21 Sport Cruiser Questions Please? [Re: duganderson] #9079
07/29/02 05:08 PM
07/29/02 05:08 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Doug,

I just helped a guy set up his H21SC this past weekend. I didn't get to sail on it so I can only offer that this is one roomy cat. I wouldn't think it's much of a racer but it seems so sturdy that a spinnaker would be an easy performance enhancer. Tons of storage, large cooler resting spot, forward trampoline, 8.6" beam so it will trailer intact....if a Stilletto was a bit beyond my means, or if I intended to travel with the boat regularly, this sure looks like a neat way to sail. I wouldn't plan on moving around on the beach solo though - I think the 600lb spec is conservative and even so, that's not very light.

It's portsmout rating is 74.1 which puts it faster than a H16, about the same is a uni H17 but slower than the TheMightyHobie18. Emphasis here on the "cruiser".

Jake Kohl
Re: H21 Sport Cruiser Questions Please? [Re: duganderson] #9080
07/30/02 10:26 AM
07/30/02 10:26 AM
Houston, Texas
EasyReiter Offline
enthusiast
EasyReiter  Offline
enthusiast

Houston, Texas
I cant answer all of your questions but I have experience with a few.

It took 4 men to right one 2 weekends ago without a righting pole (I would get one).

we have a sailor here that floats his with 4 and sometimes more people.

It will handle some surf and waves and wind to 25 KN.(that I have seen).

I saw a guy set his up single handed last weekend with a winch (not the ususal wench) (tied off the trap wires to the crossbar)

Without too many toys you could set it up in an hour.

Try to stay away from the four hour cruise and you should be fine.

Marc Reiter I 20 #861 Dikes, Ferries and Tramps. www.texascitydike.com
Re: H21 Sport Cruiser Questions Please? [Re: duganderson] #9081
07/31/02 06:04 AM
07/31/02 06:04 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hello,

Im the owner of an old but well kept Hobie 21 standard edition. The differences on the standard edition and the SC are not big, ofcourse the SC is more tailored for cruising but I think I will be able to answer your questions.

1. How many people can it carry confortably for a few hour mellow cruise?

"4 people easily and up to 6 if you social tolerence is high enough."

2. How is the performance with only two people? How is the performance relative to a H16 or a Getaway? Can you easily and safely fly a hull?

"I usually sail the boat with only myself and my crew, together we are about 170 kg, which is not problem at all in most wind conditions. At windspeeds above 20 knots + the boat really likes a third crew member, we dont have any handeling problems sailing the boat only two people. But I get much more power to pull through the waves, and extra speed, with the extra weight of the third guy. Compared to the H16 the 21 out performs it in every aspect sailing wise, we are even faster at medium and heavy windspeeds than the Tiger but speeds are very close. Our absolute top speed is better than the tonado, not because the boat is faster but we take out the 21 in winds and waves no sane tonado sailor sails his boat, at least not outside regattas. When everyone in the habour are standing on the peer waiting for the wind to calm down a bit, we sail. Flying a hull is easier than the 16 since all movements are slower due to size, I wouldn't say it is safer since the 16 is so easy to right"

3. How can it handle bigger waters like Apostle Islands, Door County, etc.?

"I don't know the area you are mentioning but sailing in Scandinavia can be pretty rough, and cold, waves bigger than 3 metre are not uncommon. Again no problem at all, we consider it fun."

4. How durable is it? Can you just pull it up on the beach without damaging the hulls?

"Very durable, you really have to put in some effort to smash this boat (we try). The problem is not damaging anything but the weight of the boat, you need to be at least 3 people to pull it to safty on a beach. Two are probably enough if you have a beach trailer. Due to the weight of the boat I woupldnt sail it onto the beach at high speed"

5. How long to set up and launch? Can it be done by one person.

"Sometimes I set up and sail the boat alone, but I always need a volenteer to help me getting it in the warter. (I launch from a habour)"

6. How is the performance under motor?

"I hear it performs well, but personally I wouldn't sail around with a motor"

7. How easy is it to right? How many people are necessary with or without water bags?

"Never been down with the boat but I have installed a righting poll and believe it should be fairly easy to right for two people with this system. A friend of mine who also has a standard 21 has developed a system of a righting poll and a inflatable airbag and Im told he can right it alone."

I bought this boat about a year ago for family cruising, in light winds I bring my wife and 3 year old twin girls, and for extreeme heavy weather sailing (which is frequent in Denmark). And for these purposes the boat is perfect. The problem with the boat is it is very heavy for handeling on land, which is one of the reasons that it was never sold in very large quantities in my opinion.

There is no racing for us anywhere (only one more 21 in Denamrk and maybe a handfull in Sweden. The 21 is too heavy to participate in any open regattas with other more modern and extreeme catamarans. When I race I usually do it in a "One Design 11 metre".

Pros and cons:

Pro:

- Family and social in light weather.

- Durable enough to do extreeme sailing in high winds and waves

- Big enough for touring (tent optional)

- Easy to set up

Cons:

- Heavy

- Few in numbers

- Does not go very close to the wind

- Seems very big and hard tro handle when not in the water

- Did I mention heavy?

But all in all a very good and fun boat for the purposes I use it for.

ceh

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 673 guests, and 163 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022