1. 2006 Millennium Cup Distance Race. That's right, we have finally made it to the end of the 2006 CABB racing season. There have already been 12 CABB races during the year. The Millennium Cup is our 13 and last hurrah for the year. I hope you have been able to get your boat out and enjoy the club activities during the year.

The Millennium Cup will be held on Saturday, December 16. The crew meeting will be at 10:30 at the Rickenbacker Beach. This race will be a weather appropriate distance race. If the weather and winds are good, we will do a 20 miler. If it is less than optimum, it will be a shorter race. I will try to pick a course that will give us a 2 to 3 hour sail. If you have suggestions on a course, let me know. The water has definitely cooled off, bring your foul weather gear even if it is sunny. Bring your watch to record your own elapsed time for the race, so I can score it. I hope you can make this last blast. You might as well finish up the sailing year with a hoot.

2. Last year, for the first time, we did a New Year's Day Distance Race. Is there interest this year? It is actually a good day for a race, since most folks have the day off from work, except maybe Wilder. He is a Coast Guardsman and may have to be defending our shores. All the top college football games will be later in the day or days later. Let me know if you would attend a New Year's Day race. Last year we had five boats and had a great time.

3. CABB member, Ken Reid, sent the following information about a good source of sailing stuff.

Please send a reminder to the CABB group that there is a nearby source
for rigging and one design racing supplies (Not a Hobie parts supplier.)
Gulfstream Marine is at 3470 NW 7 th St. Miami. They carry
harnesses, PFDs, spray tops, and all matter of clothing and supplies. What
they do not have in stock, they are glad to order. I recently bought a
Magic Marine harness, and a PFD with a VHF pocket. Also they are Doyle
Sails Miami and have worked on my main and jib. I find them reasonable
on price and of great help in general. They are focused on racing so
they have the gear we want.

Rigging Systems is also in the same building and can make up any
rigging the fleet can need. Today I purchased some various lines and
received a sizable discount from the list price.

I think they both appreciate our business

frank@riggingsystems.net or 305.649.1540
gulfstreamboats@bellsouth.net or 305.649.6003

Thanks
Regards,
Ken

4. Several boats have changed hands recently.

Ken Reid purchased a Hobie 20 about 6 weeks ago. He has been refurbishing it and tuning it up. It looks great. We took it out sailing last week, and it is sweet. Unfortunately, I managed to stick it in the sand going warp 2 and flipped us over. We each did the double trapeze aerial act of flying around the forestay and landing in the chilly water. Ouch! There were no injuries and no damage to the boat. So other than my bruised ego, all came out okay. I don't think I have flipped a boat in about 7 years.

Ken is looking for a set of Cat Trax for his boat. If you have a set for sale or know of a set for sale, give him a call at 305 476-0446.

Mandi Prats is also the proud owner of a 1999 Hobie 20. This boat came from the west coast of Florida. He is doing some minor tweaking on the boat. Mandi and his partner Dalion Hernandez are looking forward to getting out sailing with their new boat.

Rod Lequerica purchased the Hobie 20 that was advertised last Friday in the CABB newsletter. He also has a Hobie 16 which is going up for sale shortly, if you are interested. Rod needs a place to store his new boat. If you have or know of a place he can store the boat, send him an email at RodRigo_Lequerica@yahoo.com

Raul Lopez has purchased a Hobie 16 for his kids to use in the Miami Yacht Club Youth Sailing Program. I suspect we will also see Raul on the boat from time to time. Raul now sails his F-24 Mark II, but his roots are on Hobie 16s and Hobie 18s. He has always been a top competitor.

If anyone else has a boat to sell, let me know, and I will advertise it for you.

5. The Hobie Wave Nationals were held this past weekend in Key Largo. Several CABB members participated. Amazingly Kenny Pierce took second place in this very competitive fleet. Kenny had never set foot on one of these boat until the first race of the Nationals on last Friday. Many of the sailor have been sailing these boats since they came out. This year was the ninth annual Nationals. Kenny is a superb sailor with lots of talent. Congratulations Kenny! Bret Moss was doing extremely well in the races up until Saturday afternoon when he got sick and had to retire for the afternoon. I think he was in second after the first day. Thanks to Rick White and Mary Wells for putting on this great event. If you like one design racing, they have weekly Wave races in Key Largo just about every Wednesday evening and Saturday afternoon. The whole story and results should be up on catsailor.com shortly. There is one thread on the open forum about the Nationals. It is at http://www.catsailor.com/forums/showflat...;gonew=1#UNREAD

6. The 22 Annual Key Largo Steeplechase will be held this coming weekend. The is a two day distance race around Key Largo. I could not find the NOR for this year's race, but here are the pictures and story of last year's race. http://catsailor.com/Steeplechase/Stpl05Story.html
Many, many CABB members participate in the classic distance race. Check catsailor.com this coming weekend for updates.

Happy Holidays to you and your family.

John McKnight
Commodore, Catamaran Association of Biscayne Bay (CABB)
(305) 251-7600
CABB Forum: http://www.catsailor.com/forums/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=CABB