Hop To
Getaway #932
07/21/01 09:53 AM
07/21/01 09:53 AM
Minneapolis, MN
duganderson Offline OP
duganderson  Offline OP

Minneapolis, MN
I posted this on the old discussion board before I realized there was a new one. Here it is again.......
<br>
<br>I have some questions about the new Hobie Getaway. I have had a used H16 for two years. I generally use it for fun cruising with 1-4 people; however, I would like the capability to hold 6 people for mellow cruising. I do not race, but I like to go fast and fly a hull once in a while. I have been kinda disappointed with the speed of my H16 because the leeward hull tends to sink and drag when there is more than about 350 pounds on the boat, thus preventing it from going very fast. Top priorities for me are quick set up, ability to hold 2-6 people for fun cruising, and the ability to go fast and fly a hull once in a while with 2 people.
<br>
<br>Here are some questions?
<br>
<br>1. How does the speed of the Getaway compare to a Hobie 16, Wave, or other boats? Would a Getaway be faster than a H16 because of the hull boyancy with 3-5 people on it?
<br>
<br>2. How well does the boat handle and sail relative to other cats? I have sailed a Wave and was disappointed with the speed and handling?
<br>
<br>3. Does the Getaway fly a hull easily and does it handle as well as other boats when flying a hull?
<br>
<br>4. How is the quality of the Getaway? How durable is this boat.
<br>
<br>5. Quick setup is very important to me since we trailor the boat every time we sail.....Would the Getaway be at least as fast to set up as the H16?
<br>
<br>6. Is there an option for a electric motor mount with the Getaway.
<br>
<br>7. Do you think a racing class will develop for the Getaway if I become interested in racing.
<br>
<br>Thank you for your help, Doug
<br>
<br><br><br>

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Getaway [Re: duganderson] #933
07/23/01 08:31 AM
07/23/01 08:31 AM
Palm Harbor, FL, USA
L
Lance Offline
enthusiast
Lance  Offline
enthusiast
L

Palm Harbor, FL, USA
Based on what your needs are the Getaway seems to be the perfect boat for you. With the rotomolded hulls, it has a lot of bouyancy, enough for 4-6 people for casual cruising. None of these other cats come close to being as comfortable and still sailable with that much weight aboard, except maybe the bigger Prindles or an older G-Cat.
<br>I have not yet sailed a Getaway, but have read other accounts and have checked them out fully rigged at the dealer here in St. Pete. I believe the Getaway should be almost as fast in not as fast as a Hobie 16. You should be able to go pretty quick with one or two people sailing. Setup is as easy as a H16 if not easier. I imagine as the amount of boats sold increases there will be a seperate class, just as there is for the Wave. No matter what, you can always race in open class with the Portsmouth numbers.
<br>Good luck,
<br>
<br>My .02
<br>
<br><br><br>Lance
<br>Hobie 18 Magnum
<br>St. Petersburg FL

Lance
Taipan 5.7 USA 182
Palm Harbor, FL
Re: Getaway [Re: duganderson] #934
07/23/01 01:19 PM
07/23/01 01:19 PM
Dallas, TX, USA
ssyba Offline
stranger
ssyba  Offline
stranger

Dallas, TX, USA
Hi, I might have responded to your other post but here goes again. I haven't owned a 16 or other Hobie before, but I bought a getaway last May. I have sailed and pitchpoled several times on a 16. to answer your questions:
<br>
<br>1. I had 5 adults on it in 25 mph wind. We were FLYING!!!! almost had the hull out of the water with everyone sitting on the windward hull. On that day, all the 16's were on the beach and only one 18 was playing in the heavy wind. We buried the bows a couple times and sailed right through it, it was awesome. I just got the wings on mine, and sailed with them for the first time last thurs. The speed improvement in moderate wind was noticeable (either that or the fact of sitting 3 feet above the water). The wings are a must have.
<br>
<br>2. not enough experience to answer
<br>
<br>3. i wouldn't say easily, i think the 16 have a much "easier" time lifting the hull from the weight difference of the boats. Flew the hull for the first time a month ago and out of excitement i just froze up (so we went over).
<br>
<br>4. Very durable. Aside from the hinges [of which, the getaway has none], think about that 10 year old cooler you have in your garage. The plastic is thick and strong. I have scratched it up a little, but I don't think that can be avoided.
<br>
<br>5. setup in 10 - 20 minutes with another person.
<br>
<br>6. donno.
<br>
<br>7. donno, but this year's midamerica's race at Lake Texoma had an open class. Had one Getaway in it (would have been two, if my sister's wedding wasn't that weekend frown ) This is the first year they are selling 'em, so it might take a couple of years.
<br>
<br><br><br>Ssyba
<br>'01 Hobie Getaway

Attached Files
925- (32 downloads)

Ssyba '01 Hobie Getaway
Re: Getaway [Re: ssyba] #935
07/24/01 07:47 AM
07/24/01 07:47 AM
Melbourne, FL
Getawaysailor Offline
stranger
Getawaysailor  Offline
stranger

Melbourne, FL
I really love my Getaway....Fast, fun, and you can carry all your friends with you and still sail well. +++ you have built in coolers!!!
<br>1. The speed of the Getaway seems to be about the same as the 16, but I dont have a lot of 16 experience. I have sailed mine with 3 adults and it still goes really well. ( I have wings)
<br>
<br>2.I used to own a wave when they first came out and this is a lot like it as far as the ease of sailing, but much more speed which means even more fun!!
<br>
<br>3. I have only flown the hull a few times but it seemed to be very stable when flying. Much more controled
<br>4. The quality is fair. I bought mine in May also and have sailed it a lot. I do have some cracks on the port hull above the forward crossbar...Hobie is telling me this will be replaced now.
<br>
<br>5. The Getaway sets up almost as fast as the wave. We went sailing this past weekend and the other boats(Nacras and Inters) were amazed at the quick set up and break down of the boat.
<br>
<br>6. I havent seen an option for a motor but I imagine someone will come up with something.
<br>7. I think there will be class racing when we get more boats in the water but for now you can still race with a handicap. the rating is 84.7 for now ( I think)
<br>
<br>Great fun over all.......go get one
<br>Dan
<br><br><br>

Attached Files
943- (36 downloads)

Hobie Getaway "Curiosity"
Re: Getaway [Re: Getawaysailor] #936
07/24/01 10:41 AM
07/24/01 10:41 AM
S
sail-s Offline
enthusiast
sail-s  Offline
enthusiast
S

The Getaway is rated at 84.7 as stated (I thought it was 80.0) and the H16 is rated at 76.1. Now that I have sailed against a Getaway I can tell you a Getaway is much slower than a H16 on all points of sail. Still it is a great family boat and I am planning on getting one for my family. It is a bit heavy at 430 lbs.<br><br>

cracks in the hull [Re: Getawaysailor] #937
07/24/01 04:53 PM
07/24/01 04:53 PM
Dallas, TX, USA
ssyba Offline
stranger
ssyba  Offline
stranger

Dallas, TX, USA
getaway sailor, were the cracks caused by abuse or poor engineering or what? i haven't had any, but i have only been in strong wind a few times. do the cracks go all the way through, what did Hobie tell you?<br><br>Ssyba
<br>'01 Hobie Getaway

Attached Files
977- (31 downloads)

Ssyba '01 Hobie Getaway
Re: cracks in the hull [Re: ssyba] #938
07/25/01 08:01 AM
07/25/01 08:01 AM
Melbourne, FL
Getawaysailor Offline
stranger
Getawaysailor  Offline
stranger

Melbourne, FL
I would say poor engineering, the cracks are almost an inch long and they are on the upper corners of the port crossbar. I feel its the stress of the "twist" between the hulls and the pressure from the bridel. I spoke to my local dealer and he said Hobie is going to send out another hull, I will be getting back with him soon and I'll let you know if I hear anything. I have only sailed in the river here but the winds have been up most of the time that I have been out.
<br>Maybe you could ask your dealer if he knows anything about this as well.
<br>Feel free to email me at Getawaysailor@aol.com
<br>Dan<br><br>

Attached Files
1003- (32 downloads)

Hobie Getaway "Curiosity"

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 659 guests, and 155 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022