I recently re-finished my EPO rudders that were in rough shape and thought I would leave a post incase this would help someone else.

My rudders formy H17 had been neglected for some time, the glass was starting to show pretty bad. Now they look and function like new.

I first cleaned the rudder blades with acetone and a rag, I removed my EPO stickers because they were in very bad condition. It may be possible to tape over them somehow.

Next, I applied a medium coat of west system epoxy with west system black graphite powder added using a 4" foam roller. After the first application the surface is rough, from air bublbes and the loose glass. I wet sanded it (the gaphite makes it a little tough to sand) with 180 grit untill fairly smooth and then cleaned it agian with acetone. I applied a second coat and sanded with progressively finer paper untill 400 grit and sanded them perfectly smooth. I left mine with the dull finish, but I guess if you wanted them shiny you could try 600 grit and then buffing compound.

They look just like new, and the slight film thickness helped tighten them in the castings.

I do not know if this would be considered race legal.

Hope someone can use this idea.