CRAM ran cat fight for years and then handed it over to CRAW... same idea.

Hobie Div 11 does this already at Wildwood New Jersey with camping on the beach etc... a real throw back kind of thing.

Beach party's need the core of volunteers to make it happen... this core of volunteers tend to be different then the core that puts on a NA's. So, depends on what you got!

Would I be interested as a OD class NAs.... probably not. Ask the Hobie class if their MEGA events are worth it.
Its in the class's best interest to focus exclusively on what the class is about. You don't want to share your NA's on the water unless you can't afford it. You want all the sailors to eat drink and party as a class... having people wander off to see old friends in other classes dilutes the "class" Besides that, the resources you need get very very hard to find.

As an individual.. No!.... If I am inclined, I budget one NA's/ big event a season..... I would support my class event because that is the event that will be there next year and the year after and the year after until it isn't.

Would US championships be interested... Doubtful... One shot beach party.... not a good mix with a 25 year old trophy. The US championships searched and searched for a date BECAUSE IT SHOULD NOT CONFLICT with any OD class's NAs.. They need to be able to participate if they want...

John Williams has led you to believe that US Sailing is making money on this gig.. False!
US Sailing does not collect your entry fee... If you want to make a killing because you sell sponsorships like crazy and can pocket the entry fee.... Have at it.

If you want to loose your butt because you are giving back.... have at it...

The sailors... on those minutes approve a bottom line entry fee taking everything into consideration. It is the clubs business to make it work.

What is an Elite Sailor?
What's special about Championship?
What do individuals want of a US Multihull Championship?
What do OD classes want of a US Multihull Championship?

Best I have heard so far is... 10 owners to loan their boats. Does that fly???

Last edited by Mark Schneider; 03/28/12 11:03 AM.

crac.sailregattas.com