2. Reduced rush hour traffic. I work three days a week, twelve hour shifts. That reduces my commute by 40%! Think about it for a minute. How much fuel would that save if the 3/12 work week was the norm? And for me, it is a major quality of life issue. I hate sitting in traffic!! It won't work for everyone but, for most of us it could, and the potential savings is enormous.

Ever so incredibly slowly the 4/10 week has crept in to construction, even though ten hour days (at least in this industry) are proven to be more productive. The kicker here is the weather, 4/10's work for an indoor job. In making up for, or catching up from, rain/ice/snow days it will never be the norm. A shame too, construction workers love to drive their big trucks, hauling only themselves, a tool box and lunch pail back and forth to work.

Speaking of snarling traffic, construction workers have succeeded over the last 20 years in moving normal working hours back from 8 to 4:30, 7:30 to 4, and now 7 to 3:30 to avoid traffic.

Pete,
Just curious...how many times have you been called in on a day off for a meeting?

John H16, H14