I think there are two big reasons.

1. It gains media attention with the beach starts and finishes. It's a place everyone can easily gather to see the action

2. It would be a logistical nightmare to start the race on the oceanside if you didn't force teams to go through the surf. If they sailed through a line between a bouy and the shore most teams on bad days would then continue a long way to an inlet somewhere to take their boat out rather than risk coming ashore and breaking something. Getting out would be the same issue. Teams would end up sailing a long way to get to the start line. A team might get a tow out from a powerboat. Then other teams wouldn't have access to the powerboat and complain. Then getting the mark out there on bad days would be really hard. You would have to set it way offshore to be clear of the waves. The committee would have a hard time seeing the whole line and calling over early boats.

I don't like it either but it does make sense. I don't know if I would have risked going out this morning. I never saw conditions that bad the year I did it. Somehow I feel a little cheated. ???

Mike Hill
www.stlouiscats.com

Mike Hill
N20 #1005