Well, since you think most of the sailors in the region do not seem particularly interested in serious racing, I think you need to come up with fun "contests" they can do on the water. The possibilities are many.

If there is decent wind and they can sail close to shore for the benefit of spectators, hull-flying contests are always popular for the catamarans. Make sure you have a good photographer taking pictures, too.

If there is not much wind, you can have a "Greased Watermelon Grab" contest or race or whatever you want to call it. They just did that in Key Largo recently, and it was a big hit. The watermelons were small, round ones. Or you could probably use any kind of fruit or melon that floats.

And there are drag races and timed sprints for individual boats over a fixed straight course, and slalom events.

Relay races are always a lot of fun! And, of course, there are scavenger hunts and treasure hunts.

Capsize contests -- who can right their boat the fastest.

I could go on, but I know there have been threads on this forum about fun events other groups have done.

If you get people to come to this event, the important thing is to get good contact information for everybody, especially e-mail addresses, so you can keep in touch for future events and send them a followup report about this event and pictures of it. VERY important.

On the other hand, if a lot of people are into racing, you could have the distance race on Saturday and buoys races on Sunday morning, which is a format used at some events.