I think that the most critical element for any venue is how transport of boats is arranged.

I'm a firm believer that the organising committee of any global challenge should make this their prime responsibility. We can not count on the participants themselves to organise for a grouped transport of boats to another continent. That just won't happen. Also because none of the international shipper like to deal with private persons, ask Robi and the others who tried to arrange for a container to Zandvoort. Only the organising committee of the event itself will have enough cloud (and size) to deal with a shipping company. They can arrange to ship all boats from different parts of the world using the same company; maybe then the shippers are interested.

Without solving the international shipping problem, the Global Challenge event will have a hard time growing into a truly world class event.

Another solution might be the arranging of charter boats, but that too is difficult to arrange and again only the organising committee will have sufficient cloud to make this a succes. Pretty much with charter boats one needs the full support of a builder in order to reduced the cost of damages to an acceptable level. I'll give an example :

Ripping and damaging sails is a major concern. The cost involved with making a new sail is not very high, but the retail prices are. If the organising committee can attract support by a sailmaker where he will offer replacement parts at costs then charter of boats become alot more attractive. It will also be a relatively cheap sponsor deal for this sailmaker, because he will not be spending actuall money just investing time and other resources like manpower and tooting. If a similar deal can be struck with regard to boards, fittings and hull repair then chartering board will become alot more attractive.

If the sailors are coming then the event will be a succes. I think this to be the lesson of the Zandvoort Global Challenge. So for the next events, more participants, even more succes.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands