tell me again why we decided not to allow solid wings in the F16 class?

Because the F16's aren't a development class. Never claimed to be either.

Our goal was to maximize versatility and performance using conventional and/or proven technology.

Hell the F16 class recently tried to ban movable rudder finlets and we have banned foils..

Under my tenure as chairman the F16 class allowed all kinds of foils and I'm still of that conviction. Sadly the recent changes were inspired by the scare found among the A-cat class sailors. I think that the F16 class may decide to ban complex system (keep sailing the boats accessible) but this certainly doesn't include banning the use of simple systems like bruce foils. If T-foils can be made dynamically through a simple and inexpensive way then I'm all for including it in the F16 class.

Currently I'm no longer an F16 official and I'm just a voting member.

I think all classes are becoming more and more conservative..

It also has alot to do with people simply not understanding the principles involved and the fact that more complex or newer systems are seldomly faster in a race. The C-class championship of yesterweekend proofs this point again. The foiler got soundly beaten. But the class members still want to vent their insecurity. It takes a careful balancing act by the chairman to keep a class on the right path. Not all chairmans are succesful at this.

Wouter

Last edited by Wouter; 09/25/07 04:58 PM.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands