the advice was

He suggested that I should really get comfortable sailing the boat I have in various conditions, and also get out there and sail lots of different kinds of boats before I buy another. He said I would definitely be better off with a bigger boat in the long run, but I might not know which one without more experience, and it would make more sense to learn to sail well on a Prindle 16 before moving up.

Absolutely.. You should be able to sail your P16 with crew in 20+ and have fun... It should not be a near death experience!

you recieved the following advice

conclusions. He said that the 18-2 and 19 were just better made boats, and felt they were not really more fragile in the water, except for the daggerboards, which kick up but still might break under certain conditions.

True... these are good tough boats... However... they don't deal with rocks well... they were not designed to sail way up the beach... You don't want to let them wallow in the surf line while you are eating lunch.

On the beach, he said you have to be more careful with them. In the water, he said they were not necessarily more complex, because you just don't use what you don't need.

But I think it still might affect setup time quite a bit, right?

Everything is bigger and heavier and more powerful. The boat still only has two sails... How its rigged goes a long way to determining setup time. You can make the boat very simple to rig if you would like. Lots of factors to consider.

A race is a collection of sailors who agree to go the same way at the same time.... Its a great way to see the other boats you might consider owning in the future... meet other people ... ask questions... almost everyone will be willing share helpful hints about cat sailing..

Sounds like very good advice

Take Care

Mark

crac.sailregattas.com