Hey Tom, I think we agree far more than not. Your comment that we need people to get involved is spot on. Nonetheless, I think there are some practical issues that need to be considered in relation to how to encourage people to get involved and how to maximize their effectiveness.

An organization itself isn't the goal, but just a means to an end. My interest is not at all in "gearing NAMSA back up" if "no one becomes involved". Absolutely on the contrary - I'm interested in the possibility that renewal of NAMSA might actually be a manifestation of people getting involved and encourage some to do so who might not otherwise see an opportunity.

It seems to me that there is a need not only for people to be involved, if that just means working to support the sport in their own club, class or region - incredibly important though that is, but also to work together to advance the sport overall. That requires some form of organization, even if it's purely informal. NAMSA exists, and as such it could be a vehicle to draw people together.

However I also see potential value in having a broad-based membership organization, either directly or through affiliated clubs. Why? For one thing I think a representative organization is more likely to be successful in drawing volunteer activists together. But I'm also thinking that some opportunities to advance the sport may require interaction with a range of parties - manufacturers, class organizations, US Sailing, MHC, UKCRA, ISAF, regatta organizers... Without some form of legitimate connection to the grass roots of the sport, it's difficult to see a group of otherwise isolated enthusiasts being taken seriously.