Cliff,
You should be able to rake more than you can imagine with the precourt system (aside from the obvious issues with forestay, jib, rotator, halyard blocks, etc). You just need to make sure the shroud itself is 1-2 feet shorter than the actual wire stay. My boat has them and the lashings at the amas have about 1 ft or more of distance between the amas and the bottom of the eye (and these are at the length they would be if the mast were up). The lashing just needs to be longer when the mast is more upright. I think that is the great thing about the precourt system. The previous owner of my boat always used the precourt system and although the abrasion issue makes me nervous to think about it, 3/8 dynex has a breaking strength of something like 24,000 pounds so even with a lot of abrasion they should still be fine (not that I would let it get to a serious level of abrasion, but you get my point).

p.s. I always have to remind myself that the mainsheet has to be really tight in high winds. A guy I sail with on a cat is mr "sheet the hell out of it- it ain't tight enough until you hear something cracking." It just seems counterintuitive to start with until I think about it more.

Last edited by PTP; 12/19/07 03:32 PM.