Hi Tim

a. I don't think anyone but Randy is messing with boomless rigs. He designed the one he carries on his 25C and the one I carry on the F27GS (Granger/Smyth)

b. Only Smyth can answer for sure, but I believe Smyth's boomless rig has more to do with safety than with anything else. I know from speaking to Tommy Granger that he was concerned with flying boom because Tommy took his whole family along sailing, and so does Smyth.

c. It takes some thought. Both Smyth's 25C and my boat have Marstrom carbon masts which are custom for both boats. My traveller has been redesigned to account for the boomless main.

d. yes, one reefs as you describe. There's some rigging lines for the clew and tack, pull the sail down, then bunch (if it's messy and hurried) or roll up the foot (yeah, right) and tie it to itself to reef. (That's a nutshell description.) When Smyth recently built me a set of sails, I asked for two reef points, although Tommy G. had only ever had one, and he said he never used even that. (I figure it's better to have it and not need it.)

For shorthanded heavy weather cruising, I have reefed and was well pleased with the result: couple of years ago husband and i were dinking in the Keys in the winter... we caught a bit of a blow, and we reefed sailing to weather and still averaged 10kt between Islamorada and Largo, along the Gulf side thru the mangroves. Comfortably, kick-back relaxed speed. (well, I was impressed, even if nobody else is.)