I sail from a dock and out of a canal system. I go most of the way out with an electric motor. When I hit the open water I need to get the sails up quickly and get going to keep from getting blown into shallow water. I have added a roller jib and I replaced the main halyard with a kevlar rope which ties off at the bottom of the mast. Everything works well. The problem is this boat is overpowered for a comfortable sail. I added a quick reefing system but the thing is still to messy. I would think a sail sized to the conditions would make nice setup. Sailboards and kite sailers use equipment sized for conditions. I would like to find a 14 sail and boom for a higher wind setup. A cutoff 16 sail would be another possibility.

If I want speed, the big sail goes up. If I want a more relaxing sail or the wind is up, the smaller sail. I'll bet even with a small sail it will still be fast. I pitchpoled twice last year under the following conditions, 20mph wind and having to sail downwind in a narrow channel. Nowhere to turn. Once the sail is up you are off like a rocket. When I look back I should have reefed at home or got into open water with the jib only.

Anyone have any comments on sailing a 16 with reefed sail?