Hi, Mindy,
Don't pay any attention to me. I am just an old lady from a different generation and I grew up in a world where adults made decisions and kids were not given a vote. I realize things are different now, but I still can't help thinking it is strange. Perhaps you are fortunate to be growing up in a time when children have so many rights and their opinions are sought by adults.

The Hobie 14 may be the perfect boat for your club. But many people are working on getting junior catamaran sailing programs going around the country, and they are looking at boats that are versatile enough to be used from ages 10-12 up to age 18, as a singlehander or two-person boat, single trapeze or double trapeze, main only, or main and jib, or main, jib and spinnaker, so it will give kids a lot of different options according to their wants, needs, ability levels, etc. Just because a boat has a spinnaker available does not mean you ever have to use it. But there might be some older kids who WOULD like to learn to use spinnakers and would like to learn all the things they would need to know if they start sailing the bigger cats or want to crew for somebody on a bigger cat.

The Hobie 14 is a fun, simple boat, but it will ALWAYS be a fun, simple boat. Some people can be happy with a boat like that their whole lives. But some kids, as they get older, need something that can be souped up a bit so they can keep learning new things and don't get bored with sailing.

I hope this explains my opinions a little better. And please understand that everybody in the catamaran world is happy to know that you have a group of kids at your club who love sailing catamarans of whatever type, and we hope that you will continue sailing all your lives.

Mary A. Wells