Howdee:

Re space and launching issues - A tornado is 20 feet by 10 feet. They take up a fair amount of real estate compared to a laser, 470 or other small dinghy, but maybe not too much more than a flying snot. Clubs in Annapolis were really short on space for dry storage. Severn Sailing Association had floating ramps for launching dinghies. The launch basin was protected by a seawall and had a relatively small opening out into the mouth of the Severn River. While I personally prefer launching off of ramps, the basin is very small for maneuvering Tornadoes after launching. Eastport Yacht Club has hoists, which I hate. Eastport's main issue was lack of dry storage space.

Another space issue was the problem of inactive members storing boats. West River Sailing club had seen a big decline in racing activity over the years and has inactive fleets. But many of these inactive people are still members who have friends and social life at the yacht club. It is politically difficult to boot them in favor of vibrant, new groups, although the vibrant new groups certainly would bring new life to an old dog.

I know that Tcat sailors at Cabrillo Beach YC use bridles and a crane, and we did so when we sailed the 2000 Nationals there. I found it to be time consuming and difficult. Perhaps I'm just not good at it through lack of practice. I used to not like ramp sailing, but I prefer it to all other launching now since it is so easy to roll boats on asphalt and since there's no sand to get in all the running gear. As far as Eastport went, the cranes were in relatively exposed water. I wasn't too sure how I was gonna keep a Tcat from getting damaged when launching in wind and seas. Perhaps lack of experience on my part.