In reply to why don't beach cat owners join yacht clubs,
and Keiths answer:
"Maybe we are just all cheap! "

That's it for me.

I am very lucky to live near a place that has cheap mast up storage on a large river (Patuxent) just off the Chesapeake bay 1 hour south of Annapolis. An owner of small family farm on the water was a cat sailor when younger so has some bond with us and lets us keep our boats on a small corner. We have a club in name only with about 14 cats on the beach right now. But only 1/2 activly sailed. No facilities. Don't even have T-shirts, but do have a web site (Southern Maryland Catamaran Club http://www.geocities.com/sailsmcc/ ) I just hope building restrictions stay in place so they can't develop that land!

There is a local yacht club that I could join, SMSA. They are mostly a big boat club but do have an active weekly dingy racing program that includes catamarans. I pay a fee to race with them but do not have to join.

But bottom line the benefit to me to join would not be worth the cost since I already have mast up storage. We are relatively rural so the YC is not to expensive. I would join our local YC if I needed to for mast up storage but I am not sure I would join a more expensive club such as PPYC in Annapolis.

Patrick Ragen
Taipan 4.9 USA 274