I am not a boat designer but I cant help but notice that he used "I" beams and sealed them in to make his amas and hull. He is counting on enough bouyancy from the air space created by boxing that junkyard crap in. For one, I dont think he calculated the weight vs bouyancy. He will have so little stability from those, I think the first time he takes any considerable wind from abeam, he will see what he is in for, if not capsize on the spot. Hopefully he will get this before going under the Golden Gate Bridge (he's in S.F. right?).
Now my professional opinion of the design, manufacturing and material of the boat... He's [email]fu@#&d![/email] I have been a fabricator for 20 years and have EXTENSIVE experience with alluminum. His design consists of trusses. If he gets far enough to take some punishing waves for a long time, it will take it's toll on every weld joint in those trusses. The strength comes from combining all those joints together. When one cracks, another takes the load that it was bearing and not in the way it was intended. Then more will surely follow. I take some pretty stupid risks sometimes but I would't take that thing on a Catalina Island crossing. I hope for his sake, I'm wrong. But if you read the blog about his family suicides, this is just his way of doing it as well and getting alot of bublicity for it. In a nutshell; everyone is supporting his idea of a public suicide. I wont feel sorry for him one bit but I will for his family.

Lee Wicklund/Team Chums

Lee

Keyboard sailors are always faster in all conditions.