At first I sort of admire these kind of people for proceeding in the face of so many nay-sayers. After that initial flash of thought, I then begin to realize that these people are suffering delusions of grandeur from which they cannot peer around to see reality and are, in some ways, fueled by the nay-saying which drives them further into their tunnel vision.

One one side, it's incredibly entertaining - on the other, it's a human tragedy.

I watch these kinds of projects as often as I find them and it seems that the tunnel vision begins to break down pretty quickly once a few of the major points the nay-sayers were making are realized. In the case of Kristopher Harley, after launching his 8 foot boat he intended to sail around the world, he realizing he had some leaks. He then spent one night in his 8 foot boat on a sandbar 100 yards off the dock he launched at speculatively because he didn't have the money to get back home for the night. That cold hard reality of one of a thousand nights crammed into a 10 foot boat with tiny packets of peanut butter seemed to cause a flood of reality...though he hasn't completely given up we haven't heard much from him yet.

Jake Kohl