Tried my righting pole for the first time a couple days ago. This was basically an aluminum pole tied to the front beam at the dolphin striker through a hole in the tip of the aluminum (was going to figure out a better manner of attaching it if it worked) then had a line go from the corners of the front beam to another hole in the pole with knots tied on each side so the pole wouldn't slip down the line. This was pulled to the back and kept there by a bungee.
After I went over I pulled the pole out easily and hung from it a little but nothing too impressive happened. I really only need about 30-40 more pounds and I can get it back up. The second time I went out on it nothing happened again and when I was pulling myself back to the hull I bent the pole big time in the middle. I had been meaning to put some small lines to steady the center of the pole too! Oh well. I have another section of tube I can use to try again or I will just bend the other one back. The problem is that I am not sure it would work even if I did put the smaller stays on the pole... and, in the end, I am just adding more complexity and weight.
With only 40 or so added pounds to right the boat I think I will just try another variation on the righting bag. Problem is: where to store it, and it is awkward to use.

Same here... I have my bag already, I sewed it myself.
I keep it in a little bag, near the mast step, attached to something, it doesn´t bother. I have a line attached to the center of the beam (at the same tang hook that you see above..) witch then turns into a 4:1 system with the bag attached to the other end. I haven't used it yet, I tend to avoid it, I'm too lazy and usually has only enough time to sail. I guess I'm waiting till I need to use it. At least I could test my mast float:
[Linked Image]

So let us know how it goes in your case, I'll do the same.