Posted on scuttlebut in response to something.

From David Brookes. Executive Director, International Hobie Class
Association: I would like to raise some of the comments by Henry L. Menin
(in SBUTT 2566). He says that “To the best of my knowledge, there has never been a women's 2 person HP dinghy regatta (again, excluding the 470)…”

If we can accept Wikipedia definition of a dinghy:
“A dinghy is a often utility boat carried by a larger boat, the term can also refer to small racing yachts or recreational open sailing boats. Utility dinghies are usually rowboats or have an outboard motor but they
could also be rigged for sailing. They are used for off-ship excursions from larger boats, outside of docking at suitably-sized ports or marinas. A small vehicle towed behind a motorhome is colloquially referred to as a dinghy.”

The definition doesn’t say how many hulls a dinghy has. So if we can accept that a dinghy may have more than one hull, then I can enlighten his knowledge. The Hobie 16 Class has been running separate Women’s World Championships for over 10 years. ISAF has used the Hobie 16 at their ISAF World Sailing Games going back to the IYRU 1994 World Sailing Championships and always had a separate Women’s event.

So as to enlighten some of my colleagues in ISAF, yes there is a Class organising women’s 2 person dinghy racing, and yes, there is a Class promoting and assisting women’s 2 person dinghy racing. Sometimes it is too easy to forget there is a big world out there that has more than one hull.

crac.sailregattas.com