To me BMW-Oracle is just another obscenely rich syndicate that thinks that you can just outspend your competition and expect to come out on top. To me, that is not interesting.

Dude - it's the America's Cup. Everybody out there (who is actually a contender) is really competing for the title of "I've got the biggest pile of money to burn" and the perceived status that goes with it - if you think any of the syndicates involved is any different you're sadly mistaken. Some are certainly more effective than others, but in the end they're all playing the "mine's bigger" game. That we get to watch a sailboat race of some kind is a side effect.

It is always satisfying to see the "under dogs" win, but they came to the game with very deep pockets too.

I laugh at the money stuff, enjoy the race, and root for the team closest to being the home team. Home team or not, I find myself rooting for whichever team falls behind in any given race and marvel when they get back in the hunt, and appreciate their effort.

Also, the Fossett thing has been beaten to death, but to compare Ellison with Fossett is not even close to being correct.