So, if the government wants to help us to save money, they should reduce the speed limits on all the major highways down to 55 (instead of 65-70).

Mary you are off your rocker!! I loose my fricken mind driving down the interstate at 70mph. The best thing EVER was the reasonable but prudent law in Montana. There is absolutely NO reason you can't go zipping through the middle of butt-punch Montana/Kansas/Iowa/Wyoming/the Dakota's/anywhere people aren't at 95-100mph + The autobahn is proof of that.

As it is, when you drive 50 mph on a 70 mph highway, it feels kind of dangerous, and many people are going at least 80.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but stay off the interstates then.

If you want to drive slow knock yourself out. I rarely pull the boat over 70mph, and that is my choice. In fact it doesn't have anything to do with fuel economy, I just don't like the way these light trailers handle rough roads at speed, or a nasty crosswind. I'm much more confident with a heavier load. This doesn't mean that we need more regulation of our road systems. Especially considering when they are literally crawling with useless and bored civil servants.

I got pulled over on at 6:45 on a Sunday morning in Iowa for doing 73 in a 70!! The Troopers reasoning was that I passed him in the right lane! What a crock of [CENSORED]! Then get the [CENSORED] out of the left lane!