[quote]Unfortunately, US SAILING membership has been eroding since the beginning of this decade despite many attempts to reverse that trend. We have tried several strategies over the years to increase membership, mostly without success. In fact, the trend line has remained unchanged no matter what has been tried - new or rearranged benefits, increased marketing, a new electronic newsletter, full page ads in Sailing World, and a new video PodCast. Even lowering the cost of dues does not seem to change the trend.[quote]

Mike,

One of the reasons that USSA membership is dropping is that many individuals do not believe that they have been represented fairly and adequately by or within USSA. To others, it is the Olympic issue that drove a final wedge between USSA and a large contingent of sailors in this country. For me, I am still a paid USSA member and will continue to be, but I am extremely upset and disappointed with USSA and their actions, manipulations and behind the scenes deals. If there were another option similar to what the sailboaders have done, I would give my support there. I do not believe that this is the correct approach to building membership. I would first try to heal the wounds that USSA have created. Then USSA needs to honestly try to represent ALL of the sailing disciplines instead of just giving lip service to those that they do not support. Then they might recieve a better response from the sailing community at large.

Last edited by windswept; 06/09/08 07:33 AM.

Tom Siders
A-Cat USA-79
Tornado US775