Okay, so those are the people you call crazies? You are also saying that these are "local" crazies, so I assume that means they are members of Sandy Hook Bay Catamaran Club. And this is their own club's race. So I would assume that the "local crazies" are going to want to participate in their club's Statue of Liberty Race. So how do you tell them they cannot participate in their own club's race that they are hosting?

Whatever we want to call them. If you take offense at the term "crazies" (which was intended with humor), call them something else...
You don't want to get into forbidding people to enter the race (unless there's blatant safety reasons of course), but would clear and explicit requirements about required experience and condition of the boat on the race notice and during safety briefing not work you think? Or you think people will still ignore? The point is to get participants to take safety very seriously and to make'm assess their own skills / equipment against those requirements...

You can debate this of course, you can say that people will still start, you can say that this was already done in the past (but not to the degree I am talking about)...this is all hypothetical because SHBCC doesn't care about growing the race anyways.

Thomas Mystere 6.0