Wouter,

I wrote>The few informations I could get from the designer are that this kind of analysis is plain vanila and wave interaction is the real secret.

You wrote>>Wave interactions ?

Dynamic analysis of the foils lift when sailing with waves.
Waves affect the way foils work and the foilborne stability in many ways:

For example:

Waves change the angle of attack more or less cyclically. I think this "more or less" is a math nightmare in all but ideal (theoretical) senoidal waves. Even in the simplified theoretical case, the analysis is not simple - spanwise, each part of the foil works with a different angle of attack.

As a consequence, the angle of attack in the working foils depends not only on the (relatively easy to calculate) pitch atitude, but also on wave's geometry (length and height).

Since there are many foilborne sailing configurations (and partially foilborne too), with different foils put to work in each configuration, it is necessary to take the relative position of the working foils and the sudden change to a different combination of working foils under different combinations of wave/wind generated transitions.

The dynamics of a foil working/stoping to work/working again also has to be considered. In other words, how fast are vortexes (and lift) created and disappear in the real world - this is not an instantaneous process.

This is enough difficulty for me...

Cheers,
Luiz

Luiz