(Again in my opinion it's one of those issues that ISAF just knows that members of the Tornado class will be pushing the rules and one of the reasons it does not like the Tornado class) ....
ISAF officials don't like those pushing the envelope? Like the world-class Olympic swimmers, track and field (etc.) competitors who continually discover fancy new drugs to be investigated and banned? Now superlight Yinglings? Who ever thought that light boats have an advantage? DUH!

If the multihulls in this week's light-air Chicago-Mac race had hooters they may have stayed much closer to the 90 footers. Yesterday I accidently met a slug racer who was returning home to Traverse City. They saw my 2003 Rick's Place/Hogsbreath T-shirt and asked what that and CABB was. I explained sadly about Rick's Place. 8^( Unprovoked, the fine gentleman then explained that catamarans aren't really sailboats, besides, they don't go upwind. And I had to reply "Yup- and they don't sink".

I would suppose one could see Captain James Cook as a sailor...just.
his observations of the Tahitian multis in his journals are interesting.

He saw them and very fast and maneuverable vessels. Strangely he did not get into any other ideas about "real" or not. Perhaps the chap meant that multis do not point....but we all know, it is not good enough to just point at something...at some stage one must get there, so who might be first?