I agree it appears the code zero Chupacabra has not workout for team USA, but I also don't think this regatta is a satifactory test of it.

And why not, this sail was devellopped by 3 highly professional teams over a period of years in a class with highly skilled and dependable sailors using the conventional setup and thus acting as the benchmark. How much better can a real life test be ?

I find it pretty instructive that 2 out of 3 teams who were party in developping this sail choose not to use it. Apparent they knew indeed what its limitation are and decided against it as soon as the predictions didn't show a series of days with the assumed narrow band of conditions.

I compare it to the test with the hydrofoils in the C-class; sure some say that that too was only one event with only 4 boat participating. However, for something to be a "new wapon" it needs to show significantly improved results at one point. Both hydrofoils and this code-0 aren't doing that in their first real tests. As a result the questions presents itself whether this pathway is sufficienty promising to continue. Again the current results are far more supportive of a negative answer then any positive one.

Of course this all withing the limits set by the Tornado class rules and upwind-downwind bouy races. The code-0 has proven itself within the other classes like the ORMA-60's and indeed the Extreme-40's. However mostly for other reasons then all out performance.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands