Robi & Timbo,

Please read Matt Bounds' explaination .... he and I have agreed on the rules that pertain to this scenerio ....

1) it's "VERY" important on "HOW" the overlap was established.

2) let's devide/split the scenerio in two parts: sailing to windward and then, Upon reaching the two boatlength circle at the Mark/Pin still overlapped.

Sailing to windward with the "windward boat" establishing a overlap on a leeward boat: the leeward boat is allowed to luff or pinch-up at the leewards pleasure as long as they give the windward boat time and opportunite to "keep clear" (secA/rule 11)

If upon reaching the two boat length circle at the mark and the windward boat still has a overlap (effectively an inside overlap) the leeward boat must give/leave enough room for the windward boat to clear the mark.

This is what you did Timbo which was correct as you did not luff-up the overlapped windward boat prior to reaching the two boat length circle.

Now for educational purposes let's look at the scenerio if the "Leeward boat" had established the overlapp from clear astern instead. The leeward boat can not sail avove her "proper course" while overlapped to the windward boat unless the leeward boat breaks the overlap by being "clear ahead".

So this means that the leeward boat can sail a course "laying the pin" BUT no higher. So the two overlapped boats sail side by side up to the pin, upon reaching the two boat length circle the windward boat has an inside overlap and calls for room, which the leeward boat is obligated to give ... now if the leeward boat can "punch through" and get "Clear Ahead" they are then free to sail any course they wish including sailing above a "proper course"

Now the (once) leeward boat will have turned the tables and will be able to ask for room if the (once) windward boat is able to re-establish an overlap but now she is the leeward boat and will need to allow room at the mark

So, it's all goes back to how the overlap was established ... that determines which rules apply.

And this is why earlier I stated that you MUST/SHOULD defend BEFORE reaching the two boat circle around the mark as the rights flip-flop at that point.

Robi, if I may have a little fun at your expense ... while "Hobies" are not the fastest beach cats out there, there are alot of very talented and exceptionally good sailors racing in the Hobie Points Regattas (and I'm not one of them but Matt Bounds is ... also thats where Robbie Daniels got started racing Beach Cats)... so,if you compete against them, they will make you learn the rules ... or you will be spending alot of time doing "360" circles

Timbo, thanks for asking the question and making me revue the rules ... I still remember "mast abeam", HAhahaha

Sail Fast, Sail Fast, Sail Safe
Harry Murphey
TheMightyHobie18/#9458, Fleet54/Div11
P19MX/#86, CRAC