I have been a naughty boy and forgotten to update you all on our project. I'll try to do better in the future.

We have not worked on the project during summer. Too many other projects and keeping the wife happy is important too. Now we are back at it. The building blog is still at: http://woodastic.blogspot.com/

I have two tips to share which was posted here recently during a debate about why homebuilding is important to a growing class. We have to be careful with the costs we incur on our boats, so we are always looking around for deals. Being able to use your own work as a way to get an affordable boat is a good way to help grow the class.

Tip 1: To get epoxy resin at a good price, dont buy in a store but do a phone session to industrial providers. If you have your own company you can easily score epoxy to 1/5th the price in a shop. We dont have a company, but were able to find an industrial provider who would sell us what we wanted anyway. The same providers often supply fillers, thickeners and fairing compound as well. Just make sure you know what you get so the epoxy is suitable for your project and your workshop. We found supplemental products to have a markup close to 20 times the cost price in shops!

Tip 2: If you need carbon fibers at a reasonable price, get to the phone and start calling carbon fiber weavers or manufacturers. We managed to buy 40kgs of carbon, at a very reasonable price compared to store prices. In fact the carbon and epoxy is so affordable that alu beams are much more expensive for us.

Some have called us nuts, so we had to find a way to block out the negative waves. The solution was obvious:

Attached Files
tinhat-brigade.JPG (535 downloads)