You're right Pete. Agree or disagree, and you'll be labeled something....

Call me what you want, but I'm probably neither a red-meat monger nor a tree-hugger. I understand there needs to be a balance between our consumption and our contribution.

What do they use the whales for? As this seems to be an annual "harvest", they haven't eliminated the species, so is there some useful purpose this activity is serving?

There is an overabundance of deer in Texas that wipe out grasslands and (or course) threaten cattle operations. They allow hunting as a means of deer control.

I can agree to that logic - we've destroyed so much natural habitat already, if the remainig wild areas are overpopulated with animals, you've got an even worse situation (disease, further destruction, demise, etc). Besides, deer tastes pretty good.

Unfortunately, humans are NOT exclusive herbivores. We do not posess rumens or other fermentation organs, which makes us very inefficient at digesting plant material and extracting essential calories, nutrients, and proteins. So, in my view, humans do need SOME small amount of animal/fish protein/meat in the diet.

Yes, slaughter operations are very disturbing to the "sanitized" eye of today's society. We just want our food packaged in the nice little wrapper and don't want to know HOW it got there.

Maybe they just picked it from the "hamburger tree"...

How to efficiently and humanely "process" large numbers of animals will always be a source of contention for people.

Would it be "nicer" to see all these people out there trying to harpoon the whales individually (some escaping with serious injury and pain)?

Should the fishermen just drop a bomb in the water and hope that it kills them all instantly?

I'm not a fisherman.... how do you harvest whales? Let's assume there is a reason you have to...

Jay