I think with animals displaying the kind of consciousness that the Dolphin and whale species show there is merit in special consideration for the way death is handled. However, the animal species, including ourselves are fascinating in that the body reacts in times of this sort of stress with it's own drugs and ways of mitigating the horror. But that is what it is, horror. As my brother used to say.
"Welcome to Planet Pain, where everything on it is eating something else."
We might also remember that Pilot Whales have a habit of stranding themselves and dying in large numbers. There is an image of one of the slaughter-men slipping near a dying animal and I think these guys probably know how to kill the beasts fast for their own safety.

Finally I am an omnivore and I relish meat and believe it has most essential elements for my healthy survival. I live in a nation where I think the hardships on the animals we slaughter are mitigated as much as is possible.
I am thankful I do not have to hunt my own as I am happy I do not have to make my own car. But is the meat was not there I would go out and kill it myself. I would get used to it and I would be a very unpleasant chap if someone else tries to stop me.
I can't believe these people killing this resource are any different.