Originally Posted by Kennethsf
I do not understand all the complaining about the alu mast, for months now, a lot of people were discussing the high price of the carbon mast. now there is a new alu mast to overcome the problem and now this... i'm lost here

If you've got a Ferrari with an engine problem do you replace said engine with a prius engine.
Masts don't get broken often but for most of us the thought of $11,000 for a new one limits how hard your willing to push it.
I have no problem with the Aluminum mast if all you have to change is the main, as long as it's competitive. I only have 4 I-20 mains that would be useless, which kinda sucks ,but I can replace all my mains and the mast for less than the carbon mast.I guess I can make duffle bags out of 'em. We'll see what shakes out, if it lowers the price of the boat, stays as fast, and gets more people sailing them it's a good thing.
Todd
p.s. Tad, your fortune telling skills suck. You shoulda just asked Will! And Tad Jack said he made an effort to find a builder, I just don't know how much effort.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White