Kirt, Wouter and all,

1. Kirt,...sounds like you have been there. YOur desciption of sea state is pretty accurate. In this case, wave direction was on the nose upwind.
The frequency of crests, ( afeet between wave tops) were about 4 feet longer than the I-17,...so as the back end of the cat cleared a crest,..bam,...in a wink of an eye,..your trying to climb another,...sometimes you made it,...sometimes you did not..
....the boat took a tremendous amout of force at every aspect,..everything was new,..rigging,..line,..pins,...split rings,..chain plates,..diamonds..which may be a good reason why she stayed together while cats were having gear failure all around...
....downwind,...I would ride off the backs of these HUGE waves,....it was fun,...the I17 just flew donwind at a 170 degree angle,....the problem was that it only took about 4-5 minutes to reach the bottom mark,.....then one had to face getting blasted to smithereens again going upwind....

....makes my wonder about the new Worrell boat going offshore in big stuff,.....the general design of hull is similar to the I-17,.....a wave piercer, that is,....comment??

Bruce