Originally Posted by John Williams
... you simply aren't allowed to use propulsion to get yourself around the course. I'm not suggesting one would gain forward motion by pushing on the anchor rode, but it would move the mark. In moving the mark, the skipper isn't using the sails as the sole propulsion. No different than ooching. By moving the mark, you have effectively changed the layline that you would have needed to have properly rounded.

Propulsion (RRS 42) is an interesting argument, but I don't really think it would apply in this case. The rule prohibits moving "a boat", not another object (e.g. mark). The ISAF interpretations state that any action that moves the boat in any direction with the force of one stroke of a paddle consitutes propulsion. pushing a small mark by its anchor line probably has much less force on a boat than one stroke of a paddle. A force that great would most likely cause the mark to touch whatever the crew member is pushing with.

I think RRS 2 "Fair Sailing" is a better argument, although it is still a gray area. It states
A boat...shall compete in compliance with recognized principles of sportsmanship and fair play. A boat may be penalized under this rule only if it is clearly established that these principles have been violated...

While some may believe that pushing the anchor line (thus moving the mark) is unsportsmanlike, I'm not sure that it "clearly violates" the principle of fair play.

I suspect that there would be a lot of variation on this call from protest committee to protest committee.

Regards,
Eric