First, no one (not even you) without lifejacket on at all time. Second, make sure everyone is a good swimmer and is capable of treading water for 10 minutes (with lifejacket) and won't freak out. Try tossing them off the dock a few times smile

I second the notion of letting them experience a "controlled capsize". Go out in light wind a few times to get them used to the boat, and then show them what happens when the boat goes over, how to stay clear, and what to do while you're righting it (hold on to bridle, rudder, or some tow line)

In light air, they'll probably have a great time and want you to flip it again (especially if the water's warm). Act all dramatic to get them to laugh about it.

We did this when I was around 7 or 8 (but I was a good swimmer, too) and us kids had a ball. We started flipping in a sunfish, and once us kids could successfully flip and recover the sunfish, we could go out on the H17.

If I recall, conditions were usually less than 10 knots and very little chop on the lake when we went out. Usually this meant a boring sail anyway for us kids (even worse if the lovebugs were out in force).

Times like that, the skipper became "Mr. Drama" to make it fun for us. He'd speak in slow-motion "OH NO WE'RE GONNA CRAAAAAASH!" and slowly let the boat go over (he sat on the low side). Probably took 20 seconds to finally hit the water.

Knowing what I do now, it was probably pretty hard for him to get the boat over in those conditions like that, but it sure was fun...

Good memories there...

Jay