I would echo everyone here. My kids ar ethe exact same age and I just took them out for their first sail. My rules would be:

1. Baby steps: Start off in very light wind so they get used to the feel of the boat and what it takes to operate it.

2. EVERYONE ALWAYS WEARS A PFD! And everyone wears a safety whistle. Things can happen quickly when your attention is elsewhere. An orange safety whistle makes a LOUD noise.

3. One adult crewman (my wife) has one and only one responsibility - watching out for the kids. I sailed the boat, she watched the kids. I essentially solo-sailed.

4. Explain to them how to uncleat sheets and how to turn the boat into the wind (if for some reason I'm seperated from the boat).

5. Practice #4.

6. Exude confidence and let the kids see that you are controling the boat, it is not controling you. Let them feel enjoyment and not anxiety.

7. When they're older we'll practice righting in the shallows.

8. Give them a chance in light air conditions to hold the tiller and sheet in and out.

9. Specifically for your question about righting - I would avoid anything involving additional lines. Just more to get entagled. People have asked me about leashing kids to the boat, but that's too dangerous. I would simply practice in the shallows and teach the kids to swim over to the hull in the water and stand/sit on it while holding on to the crossbar. NEVER LET THEM GET AWAY FROM THE BOAT! If there is current or wind, it's suprising how fast people can become seperated from the boat and not be able to swim back. Position all crew and kids first before taking any and all actions. Take it step by step and verify everyone's position before each and every action. Takes longer, but it's safer.

10. Make sure the kids enjoy cat sailing!

Here's my 4-yr-old two weeks ago:

[Linked Image]

Doug Bernstein
Prindle 18.2 'Special Treat' #590
Lake Norman, NC