Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
The real question is how to look ahead, promote and develop sailors for 2016.

Actually a lot sooner then that!... more like 2012 after the games. ISAF will vote on the 2016 disciplines, have an equipment selection trial if needed and then the vote on the equipment.

Multihulls will need to at least match the world wide acceptance and participation of the 29ner for women's high performance sailing in order to have some chips at the table.

Windswept... do you think that the Olympic boat should be part of a strong widely accepted world wide class... (eg the laser or F18 or Hobie 16) or should it be an elite boat that Olympic hopefuls campaign on the Olympic circuit ... (like the tornado campaigns of the last 8 to 12 years or the 49ner )....very separate from the normal fleet racing in sailing.

Mark

Mark,

Sorry I just found this post or I would have responded earlier. When the Tornado selection was done in 1967 catamarans were relatively knew to the scene of serious racing. You had some pretty innovative designers on hand a got a few really great designs out of the trials. I do not think we are at that point and time again. there are some truly wonderfull boats out on the scene right now with strong class associations behind them. I think that you can choose from an existing class, but that class has to be willing to committ to the rigors of being an Olympic class. I am not sure if there is a class out there that would be willing too. The F-18 class I think would split down the middle as to whether it wanted one of its boats to become an Olympic platform. Many think that the tiger is that platform. I am not sold on it, but I do not think that I will have much say in this matter anyway. If not the Tornado, I would support a more modern 20 footer at least for the men's selection. The M20 or V20 would do nicely. these boats are technically challenging and would push the sailors to stay at an elite level. I do think that this is an important part of the equation. As far as getting our act together, that begins today. I believe that the events vote is five years out from the games.

Last edited by windswept; 08/16/09 07:29 PM.

Tom Siders
A-Cat USA-79
Tornado US775