Originally Posted by brucat
""Supplied equipment" is becoming a buzz word in sailing circles and nothing more. If you want to compete at the Olympics, you will need to buy and maintain atleast 1, if not 2, of whatever class you choose JUST TO GET SELECTED!!!"

Nick, I'm not sure about your point here.

Matt's right, whether it's a supplied boat or a more open OD class, in and of itself, that does not affect how many boats you need to maintain in order to qualify.

To be able to compete at the Olympic level, you need to be good. For some classes, this means training all over the world (if there isn't sufficient competition at home), so you can either borrow boats all the time or buy and maintain them on various continents.

AS far as "getting selected" there are pros and cons to the various ways that this is done around the world. In the USA, you just need to show up at a qualifier and win the event. Obviously, this is not easy, but if you're a good sailor on the platform (and are Olympic material), you have a great shot. For some classes, the competition in the US is good enough that you probably can win this without racing internationally (although it seems this practice is going the way of the Dodo).

Mike

That is exactly the point I am trying to make. The cost of an Olympic campaign won't be reduced with supplied equipment because campaigners will still need to own atleast 1 (if not 2) top end boat just to gain selection.

Tornado Olympic Submission

This push for SMOD supplied equipment is looking more and more like Hobie is trying to make a buck.

But what do I care, it's just sailing.