Originally Posted by BLR_0719
An Isotope meeting the One Design class specifications can be raced as a single handed Formula 16 boat. An Isotope with a spinnaker can be raced with crew in the Formula 16 one up class.

Just trying to understand this. I guess one-up they consider the Jib to be the spin? (F16 max jib area = 3.7m sq, Isotope jib= about 4.2m sq // can't race F16 one-up with jib) And, since the difference between one or two up on an F16 is in the use of the jib with no variance to the class or rating, what exactly does "An Isotope with a spinnaker can be raced with crew in the Formula 16 one up class." mean?

F16 class rules allow you to sail singlehanded with main and gennaker, or doublehanded with main, jib, and gennaker. Although I can't find it in the class rules, I understand that the Isotope was grandfathered in (along with the Hobie 16 et. al.). I believe that would allow you to sail an Isotope single-handed with main and jib (rather than gennaker). I haven't looked, but a jib might fall within the measurement rules of the gennaker as well. An Isotope fitted with a gennaker could be raced 2-up with three sails (provided everything measured in).

There was an effort a while back to fit various local boats with spinnakers and race them in F16 Open Class. I bought a spin but never got around to rigging it. I doubt an Isotope would be truly competitive with a boat optimized for F16 class, but it would be fun to join in anyway.

Regards,
Eric