Originally Posted by dand
Everybody pulling a trailer: Be sure to check the manufactured date on the tires. Not a 100% guarantee, but definitely a must.

Tire supply chain stores in my area will not mount tires beyond their life expectancy of 5 years, even if they have never been on the road. I am looking at the expense of replacing my RV tires this or next year due simply to age. They still have lots of tread left. All tires have a date stamp on them. The last two digits indicate year of manufacture. I.E. xxxx04 indicates manufactured in 2004.

dan

Good advice. I just changed all 6 tires on my RV based on them being over 5 years old (the spare looked a lot older than that - I could not find a DOT number on it!). I also just invested in an after market Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) that covers the RV and trailer. Pressure sensors screw onto the valves instead of the caps, rather than the TPMS sensors inside the rim on new cars. This allows the monitors to be swapped rapidly between trailers. My system will cover up to 16 wheels. It alarms on low pressure with an audible alert. This won't save you from a catastrophic tire failure (blow - out) but could give valuable time /awareness to the driver.

The system I went with is from Pressure Pro
Monitor:
[Linked Image]
Sensors:
[Linked Image]

Dave Ingram is my president. tcdyc rules