What? So a guy that's winning a regatta gets his boat trashed by someone not paying attention and he has to eat a DSQ?

Ouch... Well that was a totally dumb idea. It would really change the game.

Still on the problem of Responsibility and Insurance.

Take a windward leeward collision. Windward with spin can't see leeward until it is too late.... Leeward is not paying attention and does not see windward until it's too late to avoid collision. Everyone has a story about what the other guy did or did not do to avoid the collision.

Or take a down wind port starboard cross where Port says... I thought I could make it... but was wrong and Starboard clipped my rudders BUT he could have headed up and avoided the collision... Starboard. I thought he would make it and held my course... He did not make it and I could not avoid his rudders... it was a puff!.

Windward is tossed. The protest committee decides that Both sailors failed to keep a proper lookout and avoid the collision.

Port is tossed, Again, the Protest committee decides that Both sailors failed to avoid a collision and starboard is tossed.

So, taking the prescription as is.
Doing your best to get the facts found to be as accurate as possible and separated from opinion at the PC hearing.

I am the burdened boat in both protests. Is my "responsibility" complete after the Insurance company takes all of the information and says... We decide to pay x% and apportions blame equally or whatever. Am I just unreasonable about the word "Responsible"

In other words... so long as I have liability insurance, I am responsible. I have no problems after the insurance company resolves the claim?

crac.sailregattas.com