Originally Posted by catman
I don't know for sure but since you choose the N-20 and F-18"s I guess we have to ask. These boats never break? I've read about the bow tangs failing on N-20's. You can't furl the jib on these boat to shorten sail if needed.

What are the chances of a plastic sail surviving during a capsize if someone lands in it? Zero from experience. On the H-18 I would aim for it, never had a failure.

Like I said I don't want to turn this into a boat thing. You can make a case for or against any boat.

Just so we understand. "Open Ocean" to me doesn't mean coastal sailing/ racing in the Gulf, Atlantic, etc. To me it means out of sight and simple communication with land. I have been on the open cean sailing/racing Mono's.

How many people here have true open ocean experience on cats?

Just thinking, Hans sailed to Mexico from Florida two different times on a G-5.7. Would that boat qualify to make the passage?

I agree with you about the dangers of the race. Like anything be prepared as best as you can and then cross your fingers. Hopefully the organizers will plan for chase boats to shadow the fleet.

Remember, you choose that line of work. Taking to the Sea or Air for any reason presents dangers.
I don't think you'll find anyone that doesn't agree with you when you speak of the dangers of your job and I sincerely thank you and your kind.

Exactly why I question the choice of chase boats for this event, and why I have already arranged for a chase boat of my own.

If your havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
I got 99 problems but my beautiful wife ain't one